Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up a router with DSL 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcvu

MIS
Mar 15, 2001
US
Just wanted to know if it is possible to setup a router with a DSL line or do you have to use the DSL router provided?

Just be careful to match *which* DSL you have.. IDSL, ADSL, RDSL etc..etc..

Mike S
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Need mo infor.

It depends on if you are setting the router up for customers to connect (ie, an isp) or just as a ADSL isp service's customer. Most likely you are the latter. You will need to know the which form you have as the person the answered above stated.

In addition you will need to know what type of modem you have w/ regard to connectivity between router and ADSL modem (some take cross-over,others straight).

Inquire w/ both your telco and isp about the type of service you have and post it here, and I'm sure someone else will be able to assist you further from there.

I thought you can use any cisco router with dual ethernet ports? My friend has a 2621 (dual fastethernet) which haves a dsl circuit going into one ethernet port, works fine. He said the only problem you could have is supporting pppoe.

Yes the 2621, 2514, 1605 all will work *assuming* you have a DSL modem ( bridge) in place... yes PPPoE is a problem and this is where many of the cheaper routers shine as they have PPPoE support built in. THis would be Linksys, Netgear, Asante and NEXLAND. THis normally comes up with ADSL lines but not always.

Mike S
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

I'm currently running the Cisco 827 with the latest IOS and it's rock solid. I've got ADSL connection with Earthlink/Mindspring in Atlanta, GA area running as a PPPoE client. Great router, highly recommended!

-soupnazi-
"No soup for you!"

Soup- did they provide the router or did you "upgrade" it? Be nice if they did it..

Mike S "Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Well, the ISP did provide me a router/ADSL modem (Zyxel Prestige 641) but I went out and bought the Cisco myself. The Zyxel worked ok, but dropped the connection 2 or 3 times throughout the day, which would in turn get me a new IP address. They would not help me figure out the problem because I was only suppose to use it in "bride mode" only, instead I went and hacked away until I got it to negotiate the PPPoE and filtering on my own. The Cisco 827 is definitely a lot more flexible and more robust.

-soupnazi-
"No soup for you!"

bridge mode huh?? that makes it simple for the simple minds on the support side to "troubleshoot" a faulty connection. Congrats on the sucessful hack!!! Any chance of posting the successful config as a FAQ file? It would cool to get a library of these type of configs. Details like provider of DSL etc would be useful.

Mike S

Soupnazi, would it be possible for you to please post a sample configuration for the Cisco 827 as we are trying to get an 827 to work so we can put in a Novell Bordermanager firewall.

Here is a modified copy of my running config. I've taken out all the passwords, but left the ip addresses so you can see how it works. The 10.x.x.x net is my home network. The 207.x.x.x addresses are Earthlink dns servers. I also removed all of my filters, but I left the port forwarding entries. This config allows my home pc to run a FTP (port 21) and 80) server. Good luck!! :)

Building configuration...

Current configuration:
!
!
!
version 12.1
no service pad
service timestamps debug uptime
service timestamps log uptime
!
hostname Cisco827
!
enable secret 5 ******encrypted password******
enable password **password**
!
!
!
!
!
clock timezone EDT -5
clock summer-time EDT recurring
ip subnet-zero
no ip source-route
no ip finger
no ip domain-lookup
ip name-server 207.69.188.186
ip name-server 207.69.188.185
ip dhcp excluded-address 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.19
!
ip dhcp pool dhcp_pool
network 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0
default-router 10.0.0.1
dns-server 207.69.188.186 207.69.188.185
!
ip dhcp-server 10.0.0.1
vpdn enable
no vpdn logging
!
vpdn-group pppoe
request-dialin
protocol pppoe
!
!
!
!
!
!
interface Ethernet0
ip address 10.0.0.1 255.0.0.0
ip nat inside
no ip route-cache
no ip mroute-cache
!
interface ATM0
no ip address
no ip route-cache
no ip mroute-cache
no atm ilmi-keepalive
bundle-enable
dsl operating-mode auto
hold-queue 224 in
!
interface ATM0.1 point-to-point
no ip route-cache
no ip mroute-cache
pvc 8/35
pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1
!
!
interface Dialer1
ip address negotiated
ip mtu 1492
ip nat outside
encapsulation ppp
dialer pool 1
dialer idle-timeout 2147483 either
dialer-group 1
ppp authentication pap callin
ppp pap sent-username ***login*** password 7 ****encrypted password****
!
ip nat inside source list 1 interface Dialer1 overload
ip nat inside source static tcp 10.0.0.2 21 interface Dialer1 21
ip nat inside source static tcp 10.0.0.2 80 interface Dialer1 80
ip classless
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Dialer1
no ip http server
!
access-list 1 permit any
dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit
!
line con 0
transport input none
stopbits 1
line vty 0 4
no exec
password ***password***
login
!
sntp server 131.144.4.27
scheduler max-task-time 5000
end
-soupnazi-
"No soup for you!"

Hi Soupnazi, thanks for the info. We now have a running 827, that our ISP couldn't get to work.

Congratulations!!
Glad I was able to help! :) -soupnazi-
"No soup for you!"

Can you surf the web using the FTP & Web Server?

I have a similar configuration, but my Web/FTP Server cannot be used to surf the web but can be access through the web. I cannot seem to figure out how to make NAT work on that server and still be seen from the internet. :(

Hmmmm... that's strange. Make sure your PC has the IP address of the router set as your default gateway. In my case, my home PC is 10.0.0.2 with gateway of 10.0.0.1 Also, do you have any outgoing filters in place? You may want to look at that as well. -soupnazi-
"No soup for you!"

Can someone help ? This is my config..When I turn on my PC and router I am able to browse the net, check email, and ping from Dos for about 5 minutes. After that I can only ping from the router. Can anyone see anything wrong with my config.

XXXXX=info omitted for the privacy purposes.

Thanks
Alritter

pwlar-xxxx#sho config
Using 1520 out of 131072 bytes
!
version 12.1
no service pad
service timestamps debug uptime
service timestamps log uptime
no service password-encryption
!
hostname pwlar-xxxx
!
enable secret xxxxxxxxxxxx
enable password xxxxx
!
!
!
!
!
no ip subnet-zero
no ip finger
no ip domain-lookup
ip dhcp excluded-address 199.xxx.xxx.1
ip dhcp excluded-address 199.xxx.xxx.250
!
ip dhcp pool dhcp_pool
network 199.xxx.xxx.0 255.255.255.0
default-router 199.xxx.xxx.1
dns-server 151.202.0.84 151.202.0.85
!
ip dhcp-server 199.xxx.xxx.1
vpdn enable
no vpdn logging
!
vpdn-group pppoe
request-dialin
protocol pppoe
!
!
!
!
interface Ethernet0
ip address 199.xxx.xxx.1 255.255.255.0
ip nat inside
no ip route-cache
no ip mroute-cache
!
interface ATM0
no ip address
no ip route-cache
no ip mroute-cache
no atm ilmi-keepalive
bundle-enable
dsl operating-mode auto
hold-queue 224 in
!
interface ATM0.1 point-to-point
no ip route-cache
no ip mroute-cache
pvc 0/35
pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1
!
!
interface Dialer1
ip address negotiated
ip mtu 1492
ip nat outside
encapsulation ppp
dialer pool 1
ppp authentication pap callin
ppp pap sent-username xxxxxxx password 7 xxxxxxxxx
!
ip nat inside source list 1 interface Dialer1 overload
ip classless
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Dialer1
no ip http server
!
access-list 1 permit 199.xxx.xxx.0 0.0.0.255
dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit
!
line con 0
transport input none
stopbits 1
line vty 0 4
password xxxxxxx
login
!
scheduler max-task-time 5000
end

try on the ethernet port of 199.x.x.x

no keepalive

It sounds like the ethernet port wants a keep alive but the provider is not sending it.. hence the port times out

MikeS

The info that I provided you was in regards to my PC. I tried the connection from my laptop and did not experience any problems. Strange to me. They are both running win2k.
Any clues ?

Does your PC have the correct default gateway set up? It should be pointing to the router. Can you run PING constantly.. using -t ? ping -t target

If that works, then something is timing in the ARP cache would be my guess.. the ping would refresh it.

MikeS

* I'm sure I'm forgetting something easy here but it's early ;) "Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back