Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up a program to run as administrator with a catch...

Status
Not open for further replies.

novellmel

MIS
May 12, 2002
US
I am a network administrator.

We have several users here at work who cannot have administrative rights to their computers by policy.

I have a piece of software that requires users to be logged in as administrators.

As a test, I created a local user on a spare PC in my office that has administrative rights to that PC. I logged in as one of our users. When I right-click on the shortcut to the software that requires administrative rights, I can click "Run As", choose this created user, type in the password, and run the software with administrative rights.
That works fine.

The catch is that I don't want the users to know this created user's name or password. Is there a way to set up a program such that it automatically runs as this created administrator and does not prompt the users for this administrator's name and password? I want this to be so transparent to the users that they think they're running the program as themselves.

haha sweet I just logged in to post the same problem and voila! I'm running into a problem trying to get Nero to run as a regular user to no avail, so this should do the trick! Thanks!

FROGGYJ
A+,N+,CST,CNCT,MCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back