Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up a Paypal account... 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

GUJUm0deL

Programmer
Jan 16, 2001
US
Hey guys (and gals), how can I set-up a paypal account?? I mean, what are the steps. I never did this before, so be warned, I will be asking verry retarted questions. Since setting up a paypal account is a serous thing, I want to do it right, and not screw it up.

I also need help in incorporating the paypal account into my CF application.

Thanks.

[sub]

genenranae2k

Currently the account-signup-optional feature is available to US sellers and their customers,

Is this going to be available to UK users?

Hope this helps

Wullie

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

**According to sources at PayPal, they are also looking into extending this availability to non-US merchants in the near future. However, there is no confirmed release date.

Wullie - Not sure what you mean by expanded use number. If you mean a "Member Number" when someone tries to add a credit card and it does not pass address verification, then, yes we do require an additional number to be entered to ensure that it is the users credit card. We put a one-time charge of $1.95 on that credit card...When the credit card statement comes in the mail they will see that 4 digit number.(This could sometimes take 30 days or more.) Or, if they can view their credit card activiity online, they should be able to get that number in 3-4 days. After the member number is entered, the credit card becomes active and we refund the $1.95 charge.

Hope this helps.
Gene

Hi mate,

It's the same thing I mean't, the following is what I see on the Paypal site:

When you began enrolment in PayPal's Expanded Use Programme, we charged a $1.95 USD fee to your card.

Please check your credit card statement online or when it arrives in the post. You will see a $1.95 USD charge from PayPal. Next to the charge you will see a four-digit Expanded Use Number.

Please enter your unique Expanded Use Number below:

I get a lot of customers trying to signup for services and then ending up making a bank transfer or sending a cheque, the reason being that Paypal is asking for this number.

In the last 3 weeks, I have had 4 people tell me that when they tried to create a brand new account, it asked for this number before it would let them go any further. This may be people that don't understand the process, I can't say for sure. I would have e-mailed support to find out, but in the past I have found the support to be pretty much non-existant.

Hope this helps

Wullie

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

genenranae2k, that is good to hear that potential customers do not have to register now to make a purchase from some website.

But I have some questions:
1) You posted above that once the customer is ready to make a purchase they follow the 4 easy steps, by entering their shiiping, billing, etc. information. I'm assuming that this information gets inputted on paypal's site, correct?? And not on my client's site. So when the customer is ready to make a purchase, they click on the "check out" button (or something similar), and they get directed to paypal's secure site, right??

2) Paypal will still send back a "verified" status to my client's webserver so we know the sale was successful?

3) How does paypal handle "returns"?? If a customer wants to return something, what is the process for that?

Thanks for the help.

[sub]

can you turn off shipping if you are providing a service?

i want to make my check out process 1 less step?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back