Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting Up A New Network Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don79

IS-IT--Management
Nov 27, 2001
US
Hi Guys,
Our company will be buying a new HP network printer soon. I need detailed steps on how to set it up, so that a user may print to it if he/she likes. Do I install the driver on the NT server, add the printer, and then share it? I'm not sure about the steps. Please help with any articles or experiences. Thanks

I don't know the HP network printer but if it's like our Lanier network printer/copier then it would use TCP/IP Printing Services. If that's the case I can tell you how to set it up.

Hi,

You need to make sure TCP/IP Printing services are installed on the server. (right click network neighbourhood, properties, services, add)

After you have installed the printer physically, give the printer a static IP address. HP printers have a menu button - go to the EIO menu and set IP here. Make sure you can ping it from a workstation.

Next got to server.

click on add new printer.
My computer
Add port
Highlight LPR Port
Click new port
box1- type in IP of printer
box2- type in HP1

Next you will be prompted to select drivers, put you disk in and install.

Next give printer name which is the name users will see the printer called.

Next give a sharename (which can be used in a login script)

This is about it I think. The only problem I think you may have is when users try to install the new printer and dont have the drivers on their machine. You can resolve this by using a tool called cont2prt which will automatically download the drivers to the users machine without them having to interact.

Im sure there is a cool and better way for doing this but thats how I do it.

:)

Thanks annw, what you described does make sense to me. I'll let you know if it works when we actually get the printer.

Easier way I found for this same problem:

Go to the server and install the protocol for Microsoft DLC; it will automatically recognize an HP JetDirect card in the network and set it up as a port. Then just install the printer drivers and point to that port. Works great without LPR, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back