Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting Up A Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanGilbreth

Technical User
Oct 24, 2004
I want to set up a network at home between three computers running XP Pro. One is a desktop which is connected to my router via a wire. The other two are laptops and connect to the router wirelessly. I now want to share files and a printer between all three; how would I do this?

Thanks!

Right click on My Network Places > Properties > you will see some "LAN or High-Speed Internet Connections" or WLAN icons. Select "Local Area Connection", or "Wireless Local Area Connection" when doing this on the laptop > Right click > Properties > CHECK "File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks" > Click OK > Close Network Places.

Do this on all your machines that you want to share files with.

When you want to share a folder
Select the folder to share > Right click > select Sharing and Security > Select "Share this folder" > you can give it a new name, or use the default > Click Apply > Click OK.

If you are having any problems, or want to apply some security processing for these shares. Post back.

Let us know how you get on.

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

ncotton, I have done everything you said, but now I don't know where to find the folders that I made available for sharing. Whereabouts would they be?

Thanks!

Open compmgmt.msc by typing that in the Start Run box as an Administrator.

Expand the Shared Folders and click on Shares. This will show you were your Shared folders are.

you have to put them in a folder that has its permisions set to be a shared folder. Then you will click network neighborhood in the start menu. If it is not there try windows explorer explorer. Just open my computer then click the folder bar (address bar ) and look for network places.

If you really want to get fancy. you can disable the guest acounts from the administrative tools in the control panel and disable the guest acount in computer management. Then create a new user with a name and password on each computer. Then when you go to network places it will promt ypu to enter a username and password to log on.

The folders that I specified to be shared are appearing in the Network Places on this computer, (using a LAN connection), but they do not appear on my laptops, (using a wireless connection), what's the reason for this? Is it because they are different types of connection?

Thanks!

You have to access the machine that they are on.
My Network Places > Entire Network > Microsoft Windows Network.

You will see all the machines that are connected to each other. Double click on the machine that holds the folder you want to access. Any shared folders or printers are displayed in normal explorer fashion

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

When I go into My Network Places, there is nothing that says Entire Network. What should I do?

on Windows XP pro, when you enter My Network Places, in the blue bar on the left, there is Entire Network, rather than an icon in the normal pane.

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

The only way I can get into Entire Network on my desktop PC is via a Workgroup, is this still correct? When I tried to get into it on my laptop, the Entire Network was not in Network Places either, and trying to access Workgroup says I do not have permission to access this network resource.

Email me through my profile, and see if I can talk you through it live, online, or remote assistance when I have a free minute.

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Have you made all the computers members of the same workgroup?

Have you checked windows firewall settings - that they are allowing file & printer sharing through on the LAN (they should do automatically when you share a resource, but have often found they don't, and you have to do it manually).

Make sure that in control panel on each computer under network conection, then click properties and make sure client for microsoft, and file and printer shareing are checked. Then on each computer right click on my computer and click properties and then computer name. Then at the bottom click rename this computer and make sure all three are in the same workgroup. Check the radio button that says workgroup and just name all three computers WORKGROUP.

THIS SHOULD WORK. Also in service pack two, the guest account is allready disabled so make sure you create a new user on each computer. It may be trying to log on to the guest account which is now disabled......

Thank you very much cbmudd! It worked because my laptops were both set on domain instead of workgroup.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back