Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting Up A Management Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

cDevX99

Programmer
Aug 29, 2001
US
I managed to export the structures and data from one tablespace in my Oracle 8 database and I want to bring it into an Oracle 9i database.....I open up the Enterprise Management Tool ( IMP & EXP do not work in the Win 2K distribution ) but it tells me, when I get to the import and export menus, that I must connect to the oracle management server?? Does that get installed with the database....if not can I install it on the same server....how do I connect to it??? I am not much for gui tools...I have been thrust from a Linux environment into a win 2k environment and could definitely use some help here!!!

Are you sure that export and import don't work in Windows 2000? I would be absolutely astonished if Oracle didn't provide support for these basic utilities in the new O/S.

Export followed by import is the natural way to import your data, so I would investigate why you are having problems and try to get them to work.

Quite sure ... if they did.....would have a problem at all

I don't doubt that you're having problems. The question is if Oracle has abandoned support for export/import, or if your difficulties arise from some minor issue.

Have you checked in your {Oracle_home}\bin directory to see if there is an executable named "exp" or something similar? I suppose that Oracle may have changed the name. In 8.0 it was "exp80", but in 8i it was just "exp". I'm not sure about 9i. Maybe they changed the name again.

My bad, they do exist, one question though ... to put these into a specific tablespace I need to create a user who's default is the desired space and then use that user to do the import....correct?

What I remember from upgrading from 7 to 8 was that we used the exp7 utility for the Oracle7 database to create an export file. This file was not exp8 compliant, but this was no problem: (a) create export7 database objects (there was a standard script for this) and use imp7 to import the export file in the Oracle8 database.
I assume this is also the case in the Oracle8-9 move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back