Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up a home network to share files...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntonioAnsell

Technical User
Mar 7, 2004
GB
Hey...

Where can I find out about setting up a home network so I can see the hard drives / folders etc on my other PCs and share printers?

I'm using Windows XP SP2 on all my machines and have so far successfully set up a full wireless network at home. My two laptops and two desktop machines can each get on to the internet this way, but I'm stumped with a network set up. Trying the automated way in Windows XP never works!

I've tried using the program Network Magic, but it seemed to interfer with my wireless connection on the laptops.

My hardware sey up is a Belkin 125g router with built in modem. The two Desktop PCs use the Belkin PCI Pre-N cards, while the two laptops have the Belkin Pre-N notebook cards.

Many thanks in advance...
Anton

In XP Pro this should be simple as this is why we pay more for the Pro version.

Have you tried the "New" wizard that came with SP2?

Here is the link and one for trouble shooting

The New Wireless Network Setup Wizard in Windows XP Service Pack 2

Resolving Home Networking Issues

Let us know how it comes out

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Adhoc network from hell
thread779-1075549

How to troubleshoot wireless network connections in Windows XP

How to troubleshoot TCP/IP connectivity with Windows XP

How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems

How to determine and recover from Winsock2 corruption

WinXP Connectivity Issues
faq779-4625

Simple File Sharing- enabled

Simple File Sharing - disabled

Anton,

Have you got this resolved yet as I have just completed a Home network and it works fine so I could give you a breakdown of what I did.

Tony

Hey Kantaru...

Any additional help you can give me is much appreciated - I'm just back from the weekend so was going to sit down and sift through all the recommendations...

Thank you to everyone for your advice too!

Hi Kantaru,

Would you kindly describe how you got your network working? I'm interested in this subject too. I'd like to connect my laptop (wireless) to my desktop (wired) for shared files & printer. Both are running XP Home SP2.

Thanks much.

in each machine you have to launch network connection wizard in control panel.
both machines should have the same workgroup (any name you want - default is mshome).
after the network is stablished. right click on network check properties on local area network.
4 items should show up:
client for microsoft networks
file and printer sharing for microsoft network
QoS packet scheduler
internet protocol (tcp/ip)
all should have a check mark.
one machine (usually the desktop) should be the server and the other client. the desk top usually is the gateway (connects to internet, and others share it's connection).
the ip addresses should be something like this:
192.168.0.x desk top x is a number between 0 and 255 (1)
192.168.0.x laptop (2)
the subnetmask should be something like 255.255.255.0
the laptop should have desktop's ip address as default gateway (to the world)(192.168.0.x)
you can try dhcp (dynamic host configuration protocol)(automatic ip) if that doesn't work, try static ip addresses i i mentioned above.
post back result.

you have to also decide if you want to connect these by crossover cable, or switch or a router.

I find the XP firewall can cause problems with file sharing since SP2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back