Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up a bar coding system

Status
Not open for further replies.

vesty16277

IS-IT--Management
Jun 1, 2004
US
I work for Innomed Technologies, we are looking to implement bar coding into our shipping/recieving end of the job. What we want to do is be able to scan a bar code on a box that comes in (one box has 30 units packed) and have it go into our Mail Order Manager of M.O.M. ( and put 30 units straight into inventory rather then scanning each unit, we may get something like 42,000 units a pop. Now for the second goal. We want to get rid of human double verification on orders, we hope to do this with pick tickets printed from MOM and scan each unit with the packers workstation. Thirdly we want to be able to track the lot numbers of every unit sold through the computer, right now we write it down on paper and file it away, but were two seperate offices, the corperate office wants to be able to go into the MOM program from Florida (were in pa) and get any info they need at a given time. No one knows how to use the bar coder. We have it hooked up and it scans, we can set ONE UPC code per product...problem tho is MOM can only handle ONE bar code per product and were getting product with diff bar codes on same product because of different lot numbers that they want to track (lot numbers signify date of production, materials used..etc..) It seems we hit a road block every way we go. If someone knows anything about bar coding or has advice on what system they use? Or a program where we can scan a bar code, save the data, then import it into MOM from an outside program, that would be great too. THanks!

Sounds like your MOM program needs to something more flexible.
Barcode scanners are not going to perform magic if the database "MOM in your case" can't handle it.
First things first, does MOM let you import such transactions?

DougP, MCP, A+

Yes I believe it does. We import/export to UPS and Harvey system. Everything in the system I believe is a database file that is just updated by mom. I think we can open it in excel or access and make modifications. I do understand that the bar coder isn't magic. We keep hitting this same subject, thats why were asking what other programs might be out there to work in conjunction with the MOM program. Thanks for the response : )

Have you thought about deploying RFID rather than barcodes ? You could save huge amounts of time as line of sight scanning is not required.

I'm up for any suggestions, I'm not really the IT director, I'm just assissting him since he's in florida, i put an email out to him to see if he knew what RFID was. I have not a clue. Could you explain it more? Does it still utilize bar code gun?

Vesty,

Take a look at the following website.
RFID stands for radio frequency identifcation and is in press a lot because Wall Mart have said their suppliers need to ship products with RFID tags.

It is a radio chip, which stores the barcode information and potentially other information. You can place rfid readrs and antennas at you Loading Bay door and it will automatically read the tags and understand whats coming and going. As its radio based it requires no line of site. You can also get handheld readers to do this too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back