Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up a 4 PC network ...comprehensive URL sought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BootBoy

Technical User
Apr 30, 2002
GB
I need to set up a 4 PC network in my office, preferably connected by phone line via a local server. Please, does anyone know of a comprehensive website where I can find out how to do it? I've searched with no luck. Thank you, BB

About how far apart are these computers gonna be?

And is there any reason you do not wish to use a hub?

Thanks Kjonnnn, 3 of the workstations are side by side and one is 20ft away.
I'm a complete newbie to networks. I imagined 4 machines linked via a server in the same room. Is that what you mean by 'hub'? Someone told me cable connection was expensive/complicated and not as reliable as phone line(!?). The reason for the network is to give all workstations access to databases and allow several people to use programs simultaneously. For security reasons only the server (hub?) would have internet access and would be protected by a firewall. Don't hold back if I'm talking out of my proverbial! Cheers, BB
th@clara.co.uk

Well that someone is just b**shitting you!!!

A hub is a connection box where you link all the computers.

Your lines will be short, so there is no need for expensive equipment.

You need:
1) a 4 to 5 port hub less then $25
2) 4 network cables, the can make it for you at the shop for $0.25 each
3) 4 network interface cards, $16 each.

You can also buy a kit with all these items included.
Check out your computers, maybe you don't need to buy the NIC's (Network Interface Cards) because today computers come already equiped with it. Are you using NT workstations? make a peer to peer network.

Need documentation, go to www.3com.com in the download area

Url:
There are 2 pdf files explaining the whole operation, you don't need to be a MCSE to do the job.

You need a firewall? Download ZoneAlarm free from CNET, for some little more money you can upgrade it to ZoneAlarm Pro.

Regards

S. van Els
SAvanEls@cq-link.sr

Thanks svanels, I'll check out the links and have a word with my mate about the depth of his understanding!

BB

Yea. Sevanels is right. Dont take any more networking advice from your friend.

So,while you "probably" could network over a phone line at 56K, it would be incredibly slow as compare the regular network cable 100mb.

Get the 5 port hub. (Get one with more ports if you suspect you're gonna add more computers

Get cables for all the computers. Plug one end of the cables into each computers NIC card and the other into the hub.

Go in to NETWORKING PROPERTIES, PROTOCOLS. Add Netbeui.
Netbeui is a protocol for small networks and you wont have to configure it.

On your computer that is acting as the "server" share the folder/file that everyone needs to access.

Voila... you're finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back