Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting the User Environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

throwdini

Technical User
Oct 20, 2000
US
I'm looking to set up a custom user environment when users log in via Terminal Services.

Ideally a user would log into my server and an application will automatically start up. When the user exits or closes the application it forces a log off from the server. The user has no interaction with the desktop environment (no start menu, no taskbar, no recycle bin, no my documents, no my computer, not able to look through the directories or delete/change anything on the server save what my applications are written to do).

But when I log in as an administrator I want to be able to interact as if it is a typical desktop.

Using the group policy editor I can ge some of this done, but it also seems to apply to my administrator account, so I have't been able to use that. Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay

Move your users and that policty to a different OU (organazational unit) that your admin account.

So don't make it the default, and don't put users in your Builtin OU. If you have to, create a new OU structure just for your TS users.

How do I set or change a OU? I am currently not as active directories, does this make a difference? Should I change to active directory?

I appreciate your help on this.
Jay

FYI- It does appear to need active directories. You can create an OU within the users and grouips management console. The created OU can then be set with its own group policies. It is actually rather straight forward once I switched the server to active directories.

I am having the same problems. I have a OU just with the users that need the restrictions, but I log in and any user not in that OU it still effects them. That am I missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back