Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting Textfield with dropdown field in Word form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

weeze2

Technical User
Jun 18, 2002
DK
Hi

I am trying to set the value of a Textfield in a word form with the value of a dropdown selectbox.

I can do it with numbers, for example having Standard text of the field as "='bookmark'", but it does not work with text.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks!

Care to try again? I have no idea what you mean by:

"I can do it with numbers, for example having Standard text of the field as "='bookmark'", but it does not work with text."

"Standard" text?

"but does not work with text"???

I have read that three times and it makes no sense to me at all. You say you can "do it with numbers"...yet in your "for example", there is not a single number. Which does not make it a very good "example" at all.

Also, please take care using words like "textfield". There is NO such thing.

There are text formfields.
There are ActiveX textboxes.

You can certainly do (at least what I think you are asking) with VBA;

OR

you can do it with REF fields;

OR

you can do with blank fields set to the dropdown which has Calculate on exit checked.

But as it stands....I have no idea what you are really talking about.

faq219-2884

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

:) Ok

What I am trying to do is:
The value of a { FORMDROPDOWN } field must be written to multiple { FORMTEXT } fields in a document.

Example: In a letter a user selects "I" or "We" from the dropdown and the text changes throughout the document to I/We.

I can do it with VBA but I am hoping one can do it without because I want to get around users having security problems with macros.

If you want the original text tied to the dropdown value, then use my suggestion #3. No VBA needed.

If the dropdown is "I" then all the other fields will be "I". If the dropdown is "we", then all the other fields will be "we".

Note these will NOT be FORMTEXT (ie. text formfields). They will be fields though.

faq219-2884

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

Hi weeze2,
The value of a { FORMDROPDOWN } field must be written to multiple { FORMTEXT } fields in a document.
Actually, there's no reason why you need to write to { FORMTEXT } fields at all.
A better way to achieve what you're after is to:
. set a bookmark with your DROPDOWN field
. set the DROPDOWN field's properties to 'calculate on exit'
. use REF fields (eg via Insert|Cross-Reference) to point to the DROPDOWN field's bookmark.

Cheers

[MS MVP - Word]

Thanks it works great with REF's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back