Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

setting text for tooltips question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisa12

Programmer
Apr 18, 2002
US
I have a multi-record block in which I would like the tooltip text
for field1 to be the contents of field2.
I know you can use set_item_propery to set the tooltip text,
but I can't seem to find the right trigger to make the text
appear correctly for each record in the block.

Lisa

in addition to the w-n-r-i, you will have to set the tooltip for field1 on when validate of field2.

This doesn’t seem to work.
A simple example of what I am trying to do is:

I have a multi record block with two fields.
field1 has the number and field2 has the words for the number.
for example
in record 1 field1 = 1 and field2 = ‘one’
in record 2 field1 = 2 and field2 = ‘two’
in record 3 field1 = 3 and field2 = ‘three’

as I pass my mouse over each record of field1 the tooltip should have the
correct corresponding words.

I’m not sure I can really do this, without actually navigating to a new record.
Any hints from anybody would be great
Thanks,
Lisa

Lisa,

Are you in an environment where the WHEN-MOUSE-ENTER trigger works? You might try that instead.

Good luck.

I tried that first. It doesn't work.

Lisa

If you are running forms on the web the WHEN-MOUSE-ENTER and WHEN-MOUSE-LEAVE do not fire (most inconvenient[thumbsdown]). As long as you have a multi-row block you might not be able to solve this problem without the record navigation. Please post back if you figure a way to do it.

when-mouse-enter works even on the web, though increases traffic significantly. But changing tooltip in it prevents from displaying tooltip at all. There is no easy way to find an item instance pointed by mouse either. Though if you find the "mouse-current" record and the value of appropriate description item, you may imitate tooltip by displaying an item using mouse coordinates.

Sem,

What environment are you in where WHEN-MOUSE-ENTER fires? We are running Oracle Form Builder Version 6.0.8.11.3 forms on the web and the trigger does not fire. It is even mentioned by the Oracle white papers on deploying forms on the web as a restriction.

Oops, I used when-mouse-up and when-mouse-down triggers.

I am running forms version 6.05.35 on windows9x.
I run client/server.
I have about decided this isnt' going to work, so I am going to
try a completly different approach.
Thanks to everyone for the ideas.
Lisa

lisa try to attach a built in library function named Hint.pll. which is given by oracle d2k itself. & the try useing the functuion set_itm_property in when_mouse trigger to se the item_property tool tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back