Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting static options for 3300 icp and 5220 phones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 21, 2013
US
I am sort of restarting this thread since the one I have been asking help on has solved a previous problem (much thanks again) and it was getting loaded with data no longer needed.

I am trying to set my 5220 sets on static IP operation on a 3300 ICP to keep
from interfering with the existing network.

Here are the boot statements and settings
MITEL SYSTEM ROM R2.3/11 Jan 13 2009 (103)

CCA Number : 56003040 RB.2
System Model : 003b0000 F250
CPU Model : 8260 R0060
Reset Config : 04043047
Bus Clock (MHz) : 66
CPM Clock (MHz) : 165
Core Clock (MHz) : 297
Internal Memory Map : f0000000
Main Memory (MB) : 256
Local Memory (MB) : 16
Flash Memory (MB) : 2
MAC Address : 08000f10fe24
MMC CPLD : R2
ATA CPLD : R2
POST Bypass : 0
Watchdog Bypass : 0
Slot Id : 0

Starting POST...

SDRAM CS1 Data Bit Walk 1................... PASSED
SDRAM CS1 Data Bit Walk 0................... PASSED
SDRAM CS2 Data Bit Walk 1................... PASSED
SDRAM CS2 Data Bit Walk 0................... PASSED
LOCAL Mem Data Bit Walk 1................... PASSED
LOCAL Mem Data Bit Walk 0................... PASSED
SDRAM CS1 Address Walk 1................... PASSED
SDRAM CS1 Address Walk 0................... PASSED
SDRAM CS2 Address Walk 1................... PASSED
SDRAM CS2 Address Walk 0................... PASSED
LOCAL Mem Address Walk 1................... PASSED
LOCAL Mem Address Walk 0................... PASSED

Starting vxWorks...
VxWorks Boot]: p

boot device : ata=0
unit number : 0
processor number : 0
host name : boothost
file name : /partition1/RTC8260
inet on ethernet (e) : 10.10.33.1:ffff0000
host inet (h) : 10.10.33.222
gateway inet (g) : 10.10.10.12
user (u) : mnms
ftp password (pw) : opsman
flags (f) : 0x0
target name (tn) : RBC3300
other (o) : motfcc

Below are the settings from the vxworks shell
-> routeShow

ROUTE NET TABLE
Destination Gateway Flags Refcnt Use Interface
--------------------------------------------------------------------
0.0.0.0 10.10.10.12 0x103 0 0 motfcc0
10.10.0.0 10.10.33.1 0x101 2 0 motfcc0
169.254.10.0 169.254.10.1 0x101 1 0 MccDev0

ROUTE HOST TABLE
Destination Gateway Flags Refcnt Use Interface
127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 0x5 28 5153 lo0
value = 69 = 0x45 = 'E'
-> arptabShow

LINK LEVEL ARP TABLE
Destination LL Address Flags Refcnt Use Interface
---------------------------------------------------------------------
10.10.33.1 08:00:0f:10:fe:24 0x8405 2 23 lo0
169.254.10.3 08:00:0f:10:f7:df 0x8405 6 3126 MccDev0
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Below are the settings from the web interface.
System IP Configuration

Host Name: RBC3300
System IP Address: 10.10.33.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Gateway IP Address: 10.10.10.12

802.1Q Setting (for QoS go to LAN Policy form)
Voice VLAN ID [1-4094]: 1

Domain Name Service (DNS)

Domain Name: wizad.int
Primary DNS Server: 10.10.10.20
Secondary DNS Server: 10.10.10.21

DHCP Server

DHCP Server: Disabled

DHCP Subnet
Name IP Address Bit Mask
Mitel Voice 10.10.0.0 255.255.0.0

dhcp static IP settings are blank

DHCP IP Address Range
IP Range

Name Start End Subnet Lease Time
Mitel Voice 10.10.33.11 10.10.33.254 Mitel Voice (10.10.0.0) 1 Weeks

DHCP IP Address Range

Name: Mitel Voice
Subnet: Mitel Voice (10.10.0.0)

IP Range
Start: 10.10.33.11
End: 10.10.33.254

Protocol: BOOTP or DHCP
Client's class ID must match name: False

Lease Time (minimum 5 minutes): 1
Lease Unit: Weeks

DHCP Options
ID Name Value Format Scope Vendor ID ID
3 Router 10.10.10.12 IP Address Global 3
6 DNS Server 10.10.20.3 IP Address Global 6
125 Mitel id:ipphone.mitel.com;sw_tftp=10.10.33.1;call_srv=10.10.33.1;dscp=44 ASCII String Global 1027 125
128 User Defined 10.10.33.1 IP Address Global 128
129 User Defined 10.10.33.1 IP Address Global 129
130 User Defined MITEL IP PHONE ASCII String Global 130
134 User Defined 44 Numeric Global 134

What I need to know, in detail is.
Are there any changes I need to make to the settings above? If yes, what are they, where do they go.

How do I set the phones to operate with the static settings. I have tried booting the phones with down arrow key and entering what I think are the right addresses but nothing works. I won't bother you with the specifics since the phones never booted to a working state and I need to know exactly how to set them (will be 10 in all) and what to set them to.

I already have the phones programed in and they were working fine under the DHCP server but do I have to deprogram them to turn them on with static IP settings?

I appreciate all the help so far but now I am venturing into the IP configurations without any real prior IP Phone know how.

Ken

What happens after you have enterd the information ?

Minimum info Phone IP address / Subnet Mask / GW/ ICP and TFTP ip address / Vlan and priority (if required)

Maybe if you describe why you are need to go to static phone settings it would help. What I see is your DHCP server is off therefore the phones are not getting any DHCP from the 3300. So they must be getting it for a Windows DHCP server or something else.

You say you need to have the phones static to keep from interfereing with the existing network which is kind of a wide swath to cut. Sound like you only have a flat network with no VLANs. Bad kentthephoneman bad!

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

While having a flat network with voice/data is not good, I have plenty of sites like this without issues (yet).

What I would be more inclined to do is reserve address space from their data DHCP scope i.e. only serve x.x.x.10-199 for data.
Then enable 'Client's class ID must match name' under 'DHCP IP Address Range' and name it 'ipphone.mitel.com', set the start and end addresses to be outside the data scope. e.g. x.x.x.201-220. Once that is done the 3300 should only respond to Mitel endpoints and ignore data devices.

I will probably get flamed for advising multiple DHCP servers on one network but it does work.
There is a KB article on it, Article# 07-5160-00005

Sarond,
Thanks, that sounds good but I'm still figuring out the IP stuff.
A couple of questions.
Do I turn the DHCP server back on in the mitel?
Depending on the above answer; Do I have to enter anything into the phones; what and where?

Do you have a more definite link to the KB article you noted?

Ken

Cut and Paste from the Article

Mitel Article said:
Article ID #
07-5160-00005 Article Type
How-To Guide

Article Title
How to program the 3300 DHCP server to only serve Mitel IP Phones Publish Date
May-3-2007

Description/Symptoms
How to program the 3300 DHCP server to only serve Mitel IP Phones

Body/Solutions
In order to prevent any other device except a Mitel IP Phone from getting an IP from the Mitel DHCP server, follow these steps

1. Give your IP Address Range the following name: ipphone.mitel.com
2. Enable the Client's class ID must match name option in the IP Range.

This causes the DHCP server to ignore all non-mitel IP Phone requests for an IP address. Please note that controller must be running 7.0 software or higher. As well if any new phones are added, then this option needs to be turned off until they upgrade their flash for the first time.

Keep the DHCP disabled until you do the following.

[li]Delete your current IP Address range and create a new one with your required addresses, be sure to name it ipphone.mitel.com[/li]
[li]Enable Client's class ID must match name[/li]

If the phones are already getting DHCP then there should be nothing else to do with the phones.
Enable your DHCP Server and test, IP PHones should get address from Mitel 3300 and PC's should get IP from your other DHCP server.

Sarond
Thanks again.
I changed the ipphone.mitel.com and class id settings and the phones are working right now. My other problem is the offices I am putting this in are mobile and won't be set up again for a few weeks so no way until then to be sure if everything is working.

I do have a plain dlink wireless router. Is there any way to set it up and test for possible interference or probably wait until I'm at the real site?

I will be gone this weekend and next week camping (a wonderful place where even cell phones don't work) and will post my current settings when I get back to make sure I'm following your advice properly.

Thanks again everyone

Ken

Are you going to have phones remote to the controller? If so then this won't work.
Will you have a VPN between site?
If so then you are best to set the phones into Teleworker mode (Hold down '7' key while phone is powering up) and put in the Controllers IP address.
This will enable the phone to get a DHCP address from a standard server and use the Teleworker address to download FW and connect.

No need for teleworkers. The set up will stay the same. The trailers move monthly to a different location. Once set up nothing will change.

Ken

From the data at the start of ths thread can you tell me what my software level is? I see it as a 2.3. Since I have bought this totally used off eBay with no know track back to mitel, how could I get a copy of the latest software to upgrade the PBX with?

You will be limited on what software you can install. To get the latest load you would need active SWA which also means you need to be the registered owner of the system. This is required because when you upgrade there is a "password" that gets retreived during the process.

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

Thanks again.
Probably won't pursue it since this will hopefully be installed in some movable offices that aren't used much in the winter anyway.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back