Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting server as mail server

Status
Not open for further replies.

jomartinpe

IS-IT--Management
May 9, 2006
Hi forum
I am setting up a new exchange server with windows sbs2003, using exchange bundled in SBs2003.
I follow the steps for setting domain.I have ip public and my ISP gave me the MX record and my mail account as mail.xxxxxx.com I dont know where to put this information on the networks connectios pannel. I used the internet wizard, it finished ok, but i still continuing dont receiving emails, i can send but cannot receive. I checked the router and the ip server is listed on it, the same with ports 25, 110 and 80. In router the ip listed is the same as exchange server, this is in NAT list. In server networks connections the Nic card have the 192.168.1.14 ,mask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.1, dns primary 127.0.0.1, dns alternative 200.48.225.130. I think the dns primary value is bad, maybe here must be the ip same server (192.168.1.14).
The smtp,pop3 connectors are up and binded to this Nic card.
Please tell me what i am doing wrong.
Thanks for replys.

Set your DNS server on the SBS server to be the same IP as the SBS server.

You don't need to do anything with the IP address or the MX record if your ISP configured them correctly. Those should be taken care of separately from your SBS config. You just need to know your domain name, for the wizard.

It sounds like your firewall is setup properly.

If you've run the wizard and told it to allow mail to be delivered through Exchange, and you have the right DNS settings internally, then if you aren't getting mail, it's due to needed DNS configuration on the outside network, which your ISP is apparently helping you with.

ShackDaddy
Shackelford Consulting

Hi ShackDaddy
I read your post, the wizard works ok!. I send emails.
I need to setup in this server the OWA, I read several pages for it but dont know exactly where to start.
My server have one nic card and send receive mail ok, it is conected to ip public via Nat in router. I guess I need to activate some services and setting on IIS console.
Please help me to setup this.
THanks.

To make OWA work, you need to choose Outlook Web Access in the wizard, and you need to allow port 443 through your firewall. You shouldn't need to do anything else...except make sure that all the passwords your users are using are strong ones.

ShackDaddy
Shackelford Consulting

Hi ShackDaddy
Your post was totally usefull...Owa works!!
I need to read more about this kind of configurations...
Thanks in advanced.. !!
In another way, how do i setup ´remote access´ ?? for accessing server from the outside and gain access to folders, because its needed to upload files (as .doc or .xls) to specified shared folders.
JMartin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back