Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting "default" domain for website logins

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotth4v

Programmer
Apr 17, 2001
US
Hey gang,

Hopefully, this is an easy one. I have an intranet site hosted on a win2K Advanced Server box. There are a number of "secure" areas of the site that we restrict using windows authentication. Well, when a user hits it with a Win2k (or earlier) box, the correct domain (say, "mycompanydomain") is specified in the "domain" field of the authentication popup. However, when an XP user hits it, it defaults to "intranet.mycompanydomain/username." Nine times out of ten, they enter their password and fail authentication (since they're not configured as users on that machine.) We have to instruct them to just enter "mycompanydomain/username" and then it works fine. Is there a way to set a "default" domain for it to authenticate against?

Is that a clear description of the problem, any ideas?

Thanks!

Gee.... it's a clear description of MY problem. I know I'll be watching this thread. I asked a similar question earlier, but I didn't describe it as well as you.

Let me know if you find an answer!

--Greg

I was wondering if it was the same...

If I find the answer (from another source) I'll be sure and post the "fix" here.

Still nothing, eh?

I know it can be done, because I've seen my browser do it, where it says "Domain: <domain>" Then Login and Password below it. THe domain isn't even in a box, it's just there.

<sigh>

--Greg

bumping and subscribe

I'm having this same issue with one of my servers. I have two other servers that I do not have this issue with and have tried my best to find the difference between the servers but cannot.

Issue only occurs when an xp user access the server.

Well, I did not ever find a solution for it. I'll take another look, it's been a while.

YEah... annoying, isn't it?

Just my $.02

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify it's owner." --Me
--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back