Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting permissions and Firewall...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigBasicQ

Programmer
Dec 20, 2001
IN
I have three question.

First, I have mounted my windows partitions to /mnt/c and /mnt/d. How do I set the permissions on them so that users from a particular group(say home) can write to it? Because everytime I have to delete/move/copy some file to those partitions I have to relogin as root. I tried setting the permissions by using the chmod command but that doesnt work. It says "Operation not permitted" even as root. Those are fat32 partitions.

Second, How do I secure my system with a firewall? How do I set my firewall's policy? I am using RedHat 9. Also, while using the AMSN messenger, I am unable to transfer files. I think its prolly because of the Linux firewall.
Also, I am using a 24x7 connection so I like to keep a monitor for the network activity. So I always have KSIM on my desktop. The funny thing I see is that even when I am not using the internet connection it says IN: 0.5K(may vary upto 1.5K) and OUT: OK in the network activity tab. Is this normal or someone has remote access to my machine?

Third, I recently installed the tcl/tk libraries on my machine. I dunno why but the wish command doesnt work. So someone suggested me to use this command:
export "PATH=$PATH:/usr/src/tk8.4.5/unix"
I've put this command in the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file but it doesnt have any effect. How do I configure it?

Thankyou.

Nobody is perfect =(
I am nobody =D

I forgot to mention that I have to always run the export command and then I can use the wish command else i have to use the wish command as '/usr/src/tk8.4.5/unix/wish msn' (without the '').

Nobody is perfect =(
I am nobody =D

Um...it says that it couldnt find ifconfig or similar.

Nobody is perfect =(
I am nobody =D

ifconfig is in /sbin. /sbin isn't in normal user's $PATH by default. If you are doing an 'su root' before running your command, make it 'su - root' (or just 'su -' will suffice).

You may also want to consider adding ~/bin to your user's $PATH, then doing an 'ln -s /usr/src/tk8.4.5/unix/wish ~/bin/wish'. You should be able then to just type 'wish msn' (assuming msn is also in your $PATH).

----
JBR

Thanx, I was able to solve the second and third problem. But the first problem still remains.

Nobody is perfect =(
I am nobody =D

Check out the 'vfat' section of 'man mount':
Code:
Mount options for fat

...snip...

uid=value and gid=value
        Set the owner and group of all files. (Default: the uid and  gid of the current process.)
Try 'mount /dev/hd?? /mnt/c -t vfat -o gid=<gid of windows writer's group>,umask=002' (may need some tweaking, can't test it, no vfat partitions to mount on the box). Add a group(say 'home'), do a 'grep home /etc/groups', and use the group id shown.

You may want to tweak the umask value. 002 means owner and group can read/write/execute/do whatever they want. root is owner by default. Add your windows writers users into the 'home' group, should be set.

----
JBR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back