Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting password in BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

biker900

MIS
Jul 17, 2001
AU
I want to set a password in the BIOS on a Gigabyte GA-8IRX P4 board so that it asks for a password before booting. I have set both SUPERVISOR and USER passwords in BIOS (and also separately) but it still boots straight into Windows. When I go back into the BIOS it asks for my password there and accepts it but still won't accept a boot password. Any ideas please??

You need to look for the power on password setting, the ones you have set if I am not mistaken are just for bios entry. Kimber

The more I learn, the more I realize how much more there is to know!

kimbertech is correct biker the password is for entering the bios settings only it will not stop entrance into windows you need to set a password there..what version of windows are you running?

Darren there IS a setting to prevent access to the computer and it is set in the bios...
It is called the power on password.
Kimber

If you set a password in the bios it can be circumvented by clearing the BIOS by moving one jumper on the motherboard on a desktop PC. Laptops can be almost impossible to activate if you forget the bios password so be careful. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

ceh4702....some of the newer PC's are coming out with bios power on's that can't be circumvented.
All persons password protected systems of any sort should make sure they have copied the password and stored it in a safe place. Kimber

kimber whos making those boards id like to get ahold of one of those,ive never heard of the power on before.thanks for the info.

Actually IBM has been putting that kind of passwords on their workstations along time. If you forget the pw on some models (can't remember which one) you have to send in the mobo back to IBM to have them replace it. There's virtually no way in cracking the pw for those mobos. So becareful !

One thing to take into consideration guys. I f anyone wants to set a bios password that'll be asked for on boot, the machine will not boot without it. Duh u r saying. well I've done it before, I also use pcanywhere on my machines. If you reboot the pc with pcanywhere, you have to be physically in front of that pc to reboot it. Just a lesson learned on my behalf. I took out the bios passwords on all my machines, @ work & home.

Good point Dugster...
If you go by that standard though, then every question asked in the forums would be answered with..."It depends on your setup"

I know that Dell's have beefed up security bios wise.....have a look at the related thread linked below.
I think you will find it informative.

thread602-98378 Kimber

Thanks for all responses. Apologise for taking so long to reply as I have been away.

Berton - the bios is Award with current ver 9f

Kimbertech - I don't have that option listed in the BIOS. On older PCs, setting the supervisor password asked for the password before booting the PC. This option doesn't seem to work with this mobo. Was the Supervisor password option changed in the way it works now?

The bios versions differ as do the manufacturers.
Also, each bios when sold to a mainboard manufacturer can have a customized setup program and so, the answer to your question is that it all depends what bios on what board.

This is a quote from your motherboard manual....from Gigabyte Technology website support area:

"The BIOS setup program allows you to specify two separate passwords:a SUPERVISOR password and a USER password" etc
"If you select "System" at "Security option" in Advance BIOS features menu you will be prompted every time the system is rebooted or any time you try to enter setup menu" etc etc

The short version....go to BIOS setup.....SYSTEM at SECURITY option should be set.
If it is set to SETUP and not SECURITY then you only get the password when you try to enter setup.
You have two setup password settings, one for supervisor which gives access to ALL the features of the bios, and one for USER which allows access to only basic BIOS features with a separate password.

Basically in answer to your question: YES...it has more features and therefore you need to know your bios.
If you need help downloading the PDF file for your mainboard manual let me know....I will get it to you.

Kimber

Kimber - Thanks heaps for your response. tried that and worked well. I've also got the manual off Gigabyte site
I'm cookin' now!!

Sounds like a headache to me. Ive seen more post by people who cant get into a laptop BIOS. Although usually it is someone who bought it second hand or got it by some other means. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Great to hear I have helped!!
Thank you so much for your feedback....so rarely do we hear whether or not our advice helped anyone!

ceh4702.....precisely why they are passworded.....the "other means"....and if you get it second hand you should have checked it out already, in which case you would see a password and get it from the owner before purchasing the unit.

Have a great day!!!

Kimber

The more I learn,I realize how much more there is to know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back