Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting p Multicasting on 3550-12T

Status
Not open for further replies.

rburke

Programmer
Apr 28, 2002
US
Hello everyone!

I have been assigned to a project where I needto configure a 3550-12T to work with IGMP snooping. The problem is that this is a private LAN so there will not be any kind of multicast routing or even a stand alone router invloved (no PIM or DVRMP). All I have is the 3550 which is Layer 3 so it should be able to work....

Anyways the setup is that there is a single host that is streaming out around 60 MB/sec (bytes NOT bits) of data and it has to be multicasted to around 4 different hosts. I've gone through the Cisco site and ran through their examples of setting up IGMP snooping, but it doesn't seem to work. When we run our code to join the multicast group it doesn't show it in the multicast group table. I know... I know... it's your code.. Well, we put up a packet sniffer and it is sending an IGMP Group Membership report in the correct form with the correct group to join, so that works. Can someone who has configured a 3550 fr multicasting please help me out on this!!! I'm stumped!!!

Thanks for reading through this post,

Burke

Not sure if you found a resolution to the is but. In our environment we ahead and enable Pim on the interfaces that needed multicast since they were going to other switches.

Here is how we are setup. If the receiving devices are all on the same vlan you shouldn't need the ip multicast routing command. Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------

ip multicast-routing

interface GigabitEthernet0/1
no switchport
ip address 10.4.2.250 255.255.255.252
ip pim dense-mode

show ip igmp snooping
vlan 1
----------
IGMP snooping is globally enabled
IGMP snooping is enabled on this Vlan
IGMP snooping immediate-leave is disabled on this Vlan
IGMP snooping mrouter learn mode is pim-dvmrp on this Vlan
IGMP snooping is running in IGMP_ONLY mode on this Vlan

Thanks, I ended up getting it worked out that same way a while ago, but thanks for the help!

Burke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back