Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting Outlook Permissions with Active Directory???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmayhew

IS-IT--Management
Mar 10, 2005
US
I'm an IT Intern with an accounting firm.

My Boss (The Network Admin) wants me to set Outlook 2002 Permissions
with Group Policies in Active Directory.

For example, we have several different groups in AD. Parters,
Accountants, etc... He wants users in the Partners group to be able
to view each other's e-mail, calendar, etc. but other users not in the
Partners group only to view the Partners Calender. This is just one
example, there are several other permissions to be set very similar to
this.

I have very little experience with AD. From what I can tell, this
isn't a common task.

Is this task doable and if so, where should I start reading?

Thanks,

MM

Maybe I am missing something here - but can't you just give each user / group access under the mailbox rights option in AD - Exchange Advanced?

Steve.

I don't think you can set Outlook permissions through GPO, forgive me if I'm wrong. Exchange must be where he meant.

These are tasks you perform with exchange admin tools... rights on information stores and such...

Aftertaf

"Solutions are not the answer." - Richard Nixon

Try using Office Resource Kit(ORK). there is this customizable tool which i guess deploy on the group policy.

LMK, i never tried.
Thanks,

I've been doing a lot of research on it and I think I'm going to write a .adm file to accomplish what i want.

I looked at the ORK but i only saw one that would work for office 2003. We're using office xp. There is probably one for xp as well, I just probably overlooked it.

I guess I'll start researching .adm files and figuring out which registry settings need to be modified.

Thanks,

MM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back