Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

setting notes as default mailclient in excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIS
Jun 22, 2001
SG
Hi,

How do I set notes mail as my default mail client in MS excel 97?
Now, if I click on a mailaddress I get the error:"Could not perform this operation because the default mailclient is not properly installed" and then he opens IE 5.5 with a "page not found" error.

I already set notes as email program in IE (internet options - programs)

Any suggestions???

Did you also go into Lotus Notes via FILE-PREFERENCES-USER PREFERENCES (then the ADDITIONAL OPTIONS list under BASICS) and checkmark the line that reads "Enable MS Office 97 SendTo to Notes"? That might explain why it says the email client is not properly set up.

Otherwise, if it was a machine in my office, I'd reinstall Lotus on the chance there was a corruption. Anyone else have a less drastic measure?

Hi,

Thanks for the response.
There is no "Enable MS Office 97 SendTo to Notes" line. Is it possible to add this line?

This problem is not unique. all our machines have this. So re-install is out of the question.

Two thoughts on this up front:
1. Possibly your Office97 products were installed after the Lotus Notes, so it was not triggered to install the option for "Enable MS Office 97 SendTo to Notes". I'm not sure if the line can be added after the fact without reinstallation, but I will do some nosing around for the answer.
2. Your computers might contain an Office product or products that are not Office97. Lotus 5 to my knowledge was only designed to work with Office97. So if, for example, there is a Word 2000 added in, even with the rest of the Office97 suite still in there, it might confuse Lotus Notes.

One possible step to try: try installing on just one computer. Don't uninstall Lotus, just reinstall over it with the same release or higher. See if that creates the line you need. If it does, that will help determine what to do from there.

Try to set Lotus Notes as prefered Mail Client at:
Internet Explorer - Tools - Internet Options - Programs
*The field for choosing is not very big*
Maybe this is a helpful hint!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back