Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting MWI on for system broadcast messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHRoger

Technical User
Mar 29, 2010
US
Cisco Unity 8.5.1, when sending system broadcast messages, the system 'by design' doesn't set the MWI to 'on'.
Has anyone found a work-around to this issue? Most people don't generally check their messages if the MWI isn't lit so it's hit-or-miss on who actually hears the message.
I'm fairly certain when we installed the system a couple years ago the MWI went on when a broadcast message was received, but the functionality went away with the upgrade to 8.5.1.
If anyone has a work-around, i would greatly appreciate the info. You'll even get a star!!

By broadcast, do you mean a mailbox that multiple people share? Or have access to, etc?

Certifications:
A+
Network+
CCENT
CCNA Voice

Neither. It's a call handler set up so a user can call and send a voicemail message to multiple voice mail users as defined under 'system distribution lists'.
The configuration is described in Chapter 26 of the System Administration Guide for Cisco Unity Connection Release 8.x. The product functions as described just fine. Sadly it doesn't trip the message light so nobody knows they have a message, which sort of defeats the purpose.
Thanks

Gotcha. Yes, that is how Cisco designed it. The Broadcast Message isnt technically a voicemail, therefor does not trigger the MWI.

Certifications:
A+
Network+
CCENT
CCNA Voice

Yeah, I was hoping one of the gurus on this forum may have a work-around for this limitation.
Their resourcefulness never ceases to amaze me.
Thanks for your replies.

Only my 2¢ worth on this subject:

Turning on *all* your MWI lamps to alert users of the existence of a system broadcast message is a terrible idea, as on a large system you run a high risk of bringing either the voice mail system or your call manager (or both) to its knees. This can cause high incidence of voicemail port congestion, slow message waiting lamp response (both set as well as clear), MWI lamps getting out of synch, complaints of slow call processing and possiby network issues as well. Please do not attempt this.

Original MUG/NAMU Charter Member

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back