Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

setting location of my documents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mturner

IS-IT--Management
Jan 15, 2001
GB
Hi

i an running a windows 2000 pro workstation which logs on to an NT 4 domain, i have hundreds of users on the domain who all have a folder on the server called my documents, i would like to set the location where the my documents folder on the desktop goes to without logging into each user and setting it like that, is that possible?

thank you

Marc Turner

p.s i dont want to put the my documents folder in the roaming profile as some users log in remotley on a slow connection and some of the users my documents folders are 2gig!

there is a command called "subst" on the command prompt type in "subst /?" to see how to use it. subst basically takes a path name and turns it into a drive letter.

if you can provide more information about how you have your my documements set up on the server i might be able to provide more ways to accomplish this

another way would be to create a shortcut on the desktop using the enviromental variables type "set" at the command prompt to see them all. type "echo %LOGONSERVER%" and see what comes up, pretty cool, huh? they are used as
%VARIABLENAME%

sorry if im a little vague but if you let me know how you have your shared folders and homedirectories set up i can help some more

the users have home directorys which have there start menus desktops etc but no my documents as in roaming profiles everything in my documentes is downloaded and some peoples my documents are massive, so i have a share on the server called docs, which then has everyones usernames in and then a folder called my documents, i would like the location of the my documents link on the windows 2000 prof desktop to be \\server1\docs\%username%\my documents

Hope this helps

Marc Turner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back