Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting Laptop IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddevil2

Technical User
May 20, 2007
GB
Hi Guys
How do I set the IP address on the laptop that I am using to configure my Cisco home lab?

M Steele
Network+
CCENT

reddevil2,

If you are using Windows XP - go to Control Panel-Network Connections - Local Area Connections.

Once there go to Properties and then go to the Properties for TCP/IP, once there you can set the IP address, Gateway etc.

It should be pretty much the same for Windows Vista, if using something else post the OS you are using!

FYI - if you are going into networking/CCNA - it is very important to understand how TCP/IP works on the clients like Windows XP, Vista etc. This is why when I setup a CCNA lab I like to get several old PCs (about $30 on Ebay) and setup an end-to-end network!!!

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Say what?
If you mean just a static IP address...well...what OS???
In Windoze (Windows), just go to control panel, network connections, right click on the LAN connection, properties, TCP/IP properties, and choose to set a static IP address...

HTH

Burt

Burt,

We think alike, and at the same time :) - I also had to say WTF, CCNA and no understanding of TCP/IP on an OS, WOW!!!!!

E.A. Broda

Shouild I give up because I don't understand how to do certain things???? Or can I learn them as I go. Maybe I should just be a paper whatever with the CCENT I hold, and forget the CCNA.
I was thinking of looking at the SMBEN course maybe I should forget that aswell????

M Steele
Network+
CCENT

reddevil2,

I have posted a link to this FREE PDF at Lulu Publishing in the Cisco Certification area here at Tek-Tips many times!!

It is 720 page PDF with hands on labs from the very simple - like setting up TCP/IP on a workstation to complex Frame Relay setups with 3 routers. It was written for the old CCNA exam but it is FREE and basic hands on practice can never hurt!

The book was written by my "train the trainer" instructor at the Cisco Network Academy! He made national news by offering it FREE to his college students!

I hope this helps - since you had a very basic question on setting up an IP on your computer - something you REALLY NEED TO UNDERSTAND!!!

Good luck!!

E.A. Broda

reddevil2,

"Shouild I give up because I don't understand how to do certain things????" Do what you want - it is just that when I see Network + and CCENT after your name I have to say WTF when you ask a VERY basic networking question!!

Sorry, but I have seen a lot of paper certs over the past 11 years :-( if you had no networking certs, no big deal but - just another question.....

Like I said good luck and if you are really into this - go back and learn the basics that you missed in Network + and CCENT!!!

Just a thought!

E.A. Broda

The fact that you want to set up a lab tells me that you want to get beyond the paper stuff. It just seems very surprising that you were able to get the Net+ and CCENT without knowing how to set an IP address on a computer...if you go into a job like that, you'd get fired before long, and blacklisted---they'd be able to share with potential employers that you can't even set an IP address on a computer.

Burt

Hi Guys
I would like to apologise for the earlier question, I was having a bad day where things just got ontop of me. My memory went blank and I panicked. Sorry. I'll try to mellow out before I get to that stage again.

M Steele
Network+
CCENT

Not just that , for something like that its going to be faster to just google it and look it up .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back