Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting Ip address Emc FC 4700 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mabulal

IS-IT--Management
Jan 31, 2006
US
Hi,
An emc clariion san storage device was just donated to our lab. I believe it is FC 4500 but not sure.

The problem is I don't know where to start. Going through the posts, I tried to connect to one of the SP's through hyperterminal but did not get too far with it. I found some manual from dell docs, which listed steps for quick installation and configuration. The first step seems to be setting up the ip addresses for the SPs, but the guide does not list how to do this. It would be great if someone could help me get started with how I can configure the FC 4500.

The Navisphere software that I have also asks for the Ip address of the storage system.. I belive it is just the UI and i think I need the agent software. Is it Navisphere Supervisior that I need or Navisphere manager 6.x.

I really don't know where to start. :-(

Thanks
Mabu

Hyperterm should work for you via the serial connection.
96-8-1-None. Use a Null modem cable.

I will assume that you have no active data and that interrupting the Clariion will not cause any data loss.

Once you are connected a couple of shift 2 shift 4 sequences should give you a prompt. Type 'Menu' and you can explore a bit.

Thanks maultier.

I tried hyperterm through serial connection and set it at 96-8-none-1. Using a null modem cable.

But everytime I do a sequence of shift 2 and shift 4 sequences, the hyperterminal hangs. (I am assuming shift 2 = @ and shift 4 = $)

I tried other baud rates too but did not get anything.

Another question, do I have to start the fc4500 while it is connected through the serial port?

thanks again
mabul

I was able to get to the Menu through hyperterminal @ 9600-8-n-1. Thanks maultier. the null model cable was probably bad.

I looked aruond in the menu, but I don't know how to set the ip addresses for the SPs. I see there is a ethenet menu but there are no options for setting the ip.

I belive you need to set up a user account too. I could not find how to do that either.

Thanks
mabul

You can find some additional information at this site: It talks about fc5500 but many of the procedures are the same. Perhaps you find more of what you are looking for.

Good luck.

Thanks Maultier.

Really appreciate your help. I am going through the document at the listed url. I hope i will get everything figured out.

Thanks
mabulal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back