Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting Icon in MSPaint

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobo123

Programmer
Oct 4, 2002
Hi all,
please, does anybody know, how, where and what to set to run MSPaint with selected (clicked) "can" icon - standard is "pen" icon.
Some registry setting, some parameters ???
Thanks in advance !!!
Bobo

This will affect all your Paint files....
Go Start>Settings>Folder Options>choose File Types Tab(these are your "Registered Files Types").....Scroll to Bitmap Image....choose it....choose "Edit'.....choose "Change Icon"....choose "Browse"(only if you don't see the icon you want)..and navigate your way to "MSPAINT.EXE".....(it's probably in C:\Program Files\Accessories)...although it may be in C:\WINDOWS......anyway,...click it and you'll see your choices to replace it....choose the "can" and OK...then close.....and close...

If you just want to change your Desktop Shortcut.....right click the existing desktop icon and choose properties>change icon and follow the above if you have to "Browse" to MSPAINT.EXE.....

TekTippy4U

I don't want to change MSPaint icon, but start MSPaint with clicked "can" icon in Toolbar.
Anyway thanks !
Bobo

That first tip is what you need. You want paint to use the "can" icon as default right?

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

I don't quite understand your issue then....... some more info needed.......
1. Which "toolbar" are we speaking of?
2. You do mean the paint "can" with the brushes sticking out the top...right?
3. Do you mean taskbar instead of toolbar or are you talking about from within a program(i.e. IE, or MS Word)?
4. You may need to try to think backwards about the problem.....It's not the "icon" that matters per se...it's the program that you want to start....so "whatever" program it may be.......I can assign it any icon I want..

i think he wants not the icon changed but the functions which is active when he first opens paint.
difficult one good luck!

"Sharing knowledge is a way of achieving immortality"

Explanation :eek:)
I click on BMP file and open MSPaint program.
I can see:
Menu (top bar), picture (in the middle) and Toolbar (left part of screen) with 16 icons.
Everytime I open the program, the icon "pen" (1st icon in 4th row) is selected.
I would like to "can" icon (2nd row, 2nd icon) would be selected !!! (Now I must click on it to select it)
What to set ???
Thanks, Bobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back