Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting Form Length Dot Matrix Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlas

Programmer
Sep 20, 1999
US
I am having a problem sending form length to a dot matrix printer. The program is being used on 4 different computers in our area and 3 running Windows 2000 and 1 running NT 4.0. The printers work fine on the on three of the workstations both local and on a local network but on one computer I cannot get the form length set. Every form is feed at 66 lines. I have tried this workstation with printer set up as local and using shared printers but cannot get form length to set. I have deleted and reinstalled the printer (Printer type is Generic Text Only)

Here's the code that sets the length and works on all workstations but one. Using an Epson printer program is compiled using FoxPro 6.0

set printer to name (cLprinter2) Printer name
set device to printer
set printer to
??? " "
if billtype = "LTL"
??? Chr(27)+Chr(108)+Chr(1) Letter Quality
??? Chr(27)+Chr(67)+Chr(42) 42 Lines per from
??? Chr(27)+"P" 10 Characters
??? Chr(27)+"G" Double Strike
??? Chr(27)+chr(81)+chr(132) Right Margin
endif

I looked at the print processer and if is same type on all system winprint type RAW. I have tried everything I can think of with no luck. Am really puzzled as to why this will not work on this one computer.

Any help will be appreciated.

Atlas

Atlas,

You didn't mention the most important point: are you using the same physical printer with all the workstations? If not, the chances are that one of them has some different hardware settings than the others. You might check the dip switches, especially the one that controls page length.

If you are using different physical printers, are they all the same make and model?

Apart from that, your escape sequences look fine to me. However, I would add that it is not usual to send escape sequences to printers in a Windows environment. It is much more reliable to use a printer driver.

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

My Visual Foxpro web site: My Crystal Reports web site:

The printer in question is used on a local network, but I was setting to use LPT1 and not shared on the workstation where it won't work. The reason I send form lenghts is becuase we print lots of multiple part pre-printed forms of varying length and various layouts requring different cpi etc. The printer will work on all other workstations either as a local printer or over the local network. I just can't get it to work on this one work station. That's why I am so puzzled.

We have two Epson DFX 8500 printers and one IBM 4230. All stations except the one work fine. All printers are set up using the Generic/Text driver.

Thanks for responding. If you need any other info please let me know.

Atlas

Atlas,

The reason I send form lenghts is becuase we print lots of multiple part pre-printed forms of varying length and various layouts requring different cpi etc.

Well, that's not really a reason to use escape sequences. If you used the printer drivers for the specific printers, VFP would be able to handle all those issues for you.

We have two Epson DFX 8500 printers and one IBM 4230.

Is it the IBM that's causing the problem? If so, it probably uses different escape sequences from the Epson. Have you checked the documentation?

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

My Visual Foxpro web site: My Crystal Reports web site:

The IBM printer works fine since it is set up to emulate and Epson. None of the dot matrix printers work with the one computer in the office. Our tech support people cannot seem to find any difference in the set up on this PC, the other three PC will work on any of the printers it just this one PC. Since all PC's are running the same program it just doesn't make sense that this one PC will not send the Escape sequences.

Was just looking to see if anybody else has had similiar issues and if there could be something in the program that was causing this but I kind of doubted that since we have been using the same print program for 4 years but can't get to work on this one workstation.

Atlas

Atlas

Thanks will let you know outcome if and when tech support figures it out.

atlas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back