Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

setting for # of rings before Gerneral Delivery answers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

8x24Admin

Technical User
Jun 8, 2016
US
Have an M8X24-DS with Norstar Flash.
Trying to figure out how to increase the number of rings before General Delivery answers from 3 to 6 (when no one answers the phone and General Delivery picks up). Changed DRT delay from 3 to 6 (no change). Then also tried changing dn #22's (have in my notes General Delivery is linked to set 22? Been a while...) 'forward no answer' from 3 to 6- suddenly have a different "General Delivery" type of mailbox that someone else set up. My research shows 5 rings (or more) goes to that alternate General Delivery mailbox and 3 goes to our standard one (that we want to make 6 rings and keep the default GD).
How do I change the number of rings on both to accomplish this (make our normal General Delivery that is answering at 3 rings answer at 6 rings and change the other one to 10 rings or disable it or something)?

Also, I can't tell if I must change the 'call forward no answer' on other ringing sets (for incoming external calls) as well?

General mailbox is normally associated with a DN (check it in vmail Admin), then look under that DN for the Forward No Answer ring count in Capabilities.
If somebody ignored the true GD then you could delete MB 22 and re-associate 10 with 22?
It's most likely 3 rings until Auto Attendant picks up then when they press 0 it's X rings base on FNA.
If instead you wish to keep MB 22 associated with X22 then disable the GD mailbox, press 6 when you see AA TABLE OTHER

Flow
Rings at designated sets
AA/Lines picks up the call at 3 rings (all ringing sets must have there FNA rings count same or higher as not to conflict)
When caller enters's a DN, the FNA ring count then takes over.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Yes, General_Delivery is associated to extension 22.
Extension 22's CFNA is set to forward to 39 after3 rings. When I change that 3 to a higher number it suddenly changes the outgoing message played from the current message (woman's voice) to the previous admin's General Delivery-type of message he created when he was testing with it at some point.
When I type 10 for the mailbox number in admin, it says it *is* associated with extension 22.
So I'm still confused. Where to go now?
P.S. Thanks curlycord for your assistance!

Sounds like another set is told to ring on incoming lines and it is also told to go to vmail after X rings, you need to remove ringing from this set or bump it's ring count up higher too.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

hmmm.... Sorry, but where can I find the list of ringing sets?
I know these dn's are set to ring (during business hours): 21, 22, 24, 26, 38
Night mode rings different sets... (21,22,24,26,28,33,38)
but under "evening" and "lunch" modes there is only "21" listed. If I've seen that list I don't remember where it is? Under Set Abilities the only ones that have FNA turned on (other than 22 which is associated with GD) are 24 & 26 but I have already changed those to 10 rings and still have the same problem...

P.S. The other day when I tried changing the ring count on the GD associated set to a higher number, it wasn't under normal business hours (8-5); I did it after hours via using set 22 to manually change (evening mode until *) the system out of night mode into evening mode. That shouldn't have this strange side effect though, should it? Still learning on this and still haven't even seen all of the settings in this beast!

If your issues is in normal day mode then don't worry about the other modes, you are just making things more confusing.
There is no list of ringing DN's, you need to go into each DN to see if the line/s ring.

"I tried changing the ring count on the GD associated set to a higher number"
GD is a mailbox, you cannot change the ring count of a mailbox, you change the DN's FNA Ring Count.

You are probably best to call in a tech who can fix this under 10 minutes of poking around after understanding the call flow etc.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

I went to each ringing dn's settings and found nothing wrong. As I said before, they (ones that have their own voicemail set up- others have no FNA setting as they aren't even enabled) are set to ring 10 times, whereas the associated ringing dn's FNA is set to 3 and if I change it to anything higher, it changes the outgoing message for some odd reason.
And yes, I apologize for abbreviating my sentence. I assumed you would know that I meant to say "I tried changing the FNA ring count on the GD associated dn, which is 22, to a higher number".
Ok, Thanks anyway then.

No apology needed...just getting oldish.

-You say you changed the DRT to 6, [highlight #FCE94F]what is the Transfer Callback setting at?[/highlight]
Maybe AA transfers to ext 2X and if no answer by 4 rings it drops to that mailbox.
Change it to 6 or 10.

-Alternate and standard General Delivery mailboxes
Normally you use one or the other.

If you were to use MB 21 instead of 10 then you would disable the GD (Press 6 once you log into F983)
If you only want one then lets find the one you do not want, in F983 press MBOX , CHG, DIR, OK then keep pressing next and note all mailboxes until you get back to the begging.
Then you can Change or Delete the ones you are curious about.
Not when creating a mailbox you must say YES to Directory? or it will not be listed.
Since you are only 2 digit DN's I will assume you have a Mini or Flashtalk.
You can use F980 to leave a message in a mailbox, start entering DN's that are not in the directory to see if the mailbox exists.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Ok, I finally got time to check it out. I missed the rings for AA and AA *was* kicking in and picking up the call.
New problem I have and am overlooking the setting:
The ladies now say when they transfer someone to another dn to leave a personal voicemail message for that person (as that person is not available) it rings for a while and then transfers the call back to the lady that answered and transferred the caller. Maybe I
am overlooking a setting or confused... Here are the current settings:
DRT delay: 6
Transfer callbk: 6
Each problem dn's FNA *was* set to 10 rings (I changed to 6 to see what happens? haha)
General Delivery's dn is set for 6 rings (FNA).
Ideas? What am I missing or confused on?
P.S. I previously changed all AA rings on all 4 lines to 12 (was 5)

forward no answer should be set to the voice mail dn not 10, do a feature 985 and this will tell you the voice mail dn if I am understanding this correctly

Voice mail dn is 39. Only settings I've changed are # of rings of several things... and DRT delay/Transfer Callbk.

I missed the rings for AA and AA *was* kicking in and picking up the call."

My very first reply...

"Flow
Rings at designated sets
AA/Lines picks up the call at 3 rings (all ringing sets must have there FNA rings count same or higher as not to conflict)
When caller enters's a DN, the FNA ring count then takes over."

"overlooking a setting or confused."
Confused I would say if the above did not point this out.

New issue..
DRT, Transfer Callback all set to 6 rings FNA at 10.
Again I say the "flow"
Which one do you want to happen first?
Very simple, count the rings....if one thing is happening before the other the your have the wrong settings.
How can you have FNA at 10 rings when you have Transfer Callback at 6?

Kapeesh?

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

LOL Kapeesh. Thanks (and sorry for being in too much of a hurry and overlooking the obvious).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back