Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting Exchange Email Wild Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

damonous

Programmer
Apr 12, 2002
US
I'm trying to set a catch all email address in AD by entering in *@mydomain.com in Exchange 2000. Here's the problem though. At one point, exchange had email addresses for this domain, such as sales@mydomain.com, info@mydomain.com, etc. Now I have gone through AD and deleted all these email addresses. I have also run the Cleanup Agent in Exchange. When I try to set the address to *@mydomain.com, AD returns an error "This email address already exists in the organization." My guess is I'm missing a step somewhere. Any ideas?

how many exchange 2000 servers do you have?

Maybe I didn't phrase this question correctly. All I'm trying to do is change an AD user's email address from sales@mydomain.com to *@mydomain.com. No one else in AD has an email address within the "mydomain.com" domain currently, but some users did at an earlier time. When I try to set the email address, I received the error message "The email address already exists in the organization." Any ideas?

Well, I got it to work. After I came into the office today and rebooted the Exchange Server, it took the wild card in Active Directory for the users email. So I guess the solution is to delete any associated email address with the same domain name, run Cleanup Agent, then reboot the Exchange Server.

Has that account actually been acting as a "catch-all" since the renaming? Just curious....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back