Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting Ethernet speed 10/100/Auto

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolMan4227

Vendor
Feb 4, 2002
I have an appliance server running RedHat 6.1 (can't upgrade). I have a situation where a cable modem vendor is suppling a 10mbit connection. My system has a 10/100 auto-sencing ethernet. Under certain circumstances, I have applications that are not handling well with the mismatch of 10 & 100 speed. I need to be able to disable auto-sensing or set my ethernet to a specific speed.

I don't see any parameters for commands such as IFCONFIG to accomplish this. Any ideas?

You don't want to set your ethernet speed, you want to set your NIC speed. I don't know what you have for a NIC but most have a DOS based utility that allows you set certain parameters such as IRQ, base memory and auto sensing. Look for this disk, boot from a vanilla DOS disk and run setup from the disk supplied with the NIC.

Not able to do that. It is a Headless server. (no keyboard, monitor or floppy drive). It has a built in 7 port router, and a WAN port(Eth1) not just a NIC. That's why I was trying to control the speed of the WAN port at the OS lever rather than the NIC settings.

Thanks for the reply.

The Network Switch is built-in. The only control that I have is within Linux. Their are not firware or utility programs to control it. I have to be able to set it at the kernel level.

Not an easy one. Thanks for helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back