Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

setting email alliases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claypole

Programmer
Aug 22, 2002
GB
I am trying to setup an alias webmaster@xxx.com
When I type the following command
/usr/sbin/postmap dbm:/etc/postfix/virtual

I get the following error message
postmap : fatal : Open database /etc/postfix/virual.{dir,pag} : respurse temporally unavailable

Anyone got any ideas as to what is wrong?

From the looks of your message you need to make your aliases file /etc/postfix/virual a binary file, on HP-UX we would use the makemap command.

Have a look at the man pages, you need to select the binary conversion to either a dir or a pag file.

Best regards

This is from a usenet post by the man himself (Wietse Venema) -
"The (g)dbm support with RedHat 7.2 is unusable for Postfix, since it does its own locking, which interferes. ... No workaround is possible, because Postfix must lock the DBM files before it truncates the DBM files, and before it invokes any gdbm routines."

and from Victor Duchovni in the same thread -
"Switch to Berkeley DB (whatever version is used by the system nsswitch "db" access methods to avoid conflicts with dynamically loaded Berkeley DB code). If there is no use of Berkeley DB via dynamically loaded modules, I recommend db-2.7.7 it avoids most of the bloat of the later releases
resulting in smaller faster code."

If you are using RedHat this may be your problem.

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back