Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting Drive as Slave. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopeless1

Vendor
Jan 5, 2003
US
Hi,

Could someone please direct me step by step how to actually set a drive as slave?

I have been told that it is the jumpers but what do I actually need to do?

Be easy on me.. Please...

Thanks in advance

there is a black or white jumper on the back of the hard drive where the connections are. just change it according to the diagram shown on the front of hard drive. usually the middle pins

Look up the hard drive specs on the net, and follow the settings for slave drive. Drive info is all over the net.

Good Luck
PEACE Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Do you know what jumpers are? If not, a jumper is a connector which links a pair of metal contacts, usually in the form of small pins. By sliding this piece of plastic with a metal clip embedded over the two pins, you connect them together electrically.
The jumpers on a HDD are usually located on the back, between the power and data connectors. They look like another small socket, with the pins sticking out. One pair of pins will be linked by this small bit of plastic - all you have to do is take out the drive and examine the labelling for a diagram showing which pins refer to what status. Simply gently pull the jumper off the pins using pliers or your finger nails, and slide it back over the right ones. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back