Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting bandwidth usage on IP phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidw07

Technical User
Dec 6, 2006
US
I have a questions about lowering my bandwith usage for at least one of my IP zones. Currently each one of my IP phones are using 190kbps when they are being used. I would like to lower this to around 64kbps for one of my zones. If I had to do all of them that would be ok also. I found in elamnet manager where I can add additional codecs and change the Voice Payload of current codes. Will changing the voice payload on the code lower the bandwidth the phones are using? I also read that the g.723.1 code supports 5.3kbps or 6.4kbps. If I enable this Code and then change one of my zones to use best bandwidth will it auto select this codec for just that zone? Is there a way I can force one of my zones to use this codec with out messing with my other two zones?

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

You are most likely using 64k now but with overhead you are reaching the 190 - you are probably also set as half duplex which doubles your traffic. to correct that, your T-Lan connections to SigServer and Media Cards should be set to Auto-negotiate.

In element manager - IP telephony - configuration

Select the g729 codec - leave the payload the same for now

Save and transfer - This will then require a reboot I think. It will tell you if it does,

In the zone you want to change - change from bq to bb probably on both intra and inter

You can play with your payload later - by decreasing it you lower your bandwidth but increase your number of packets. and Visa Versa

This will compress to 8k plus over head

Thank you very much for the info. I will give this a try this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back