Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

setting a forms record source by code based on user selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

KennyUK

Technical User
Sep 13, 2001
GB
Thank you very much for taking the time to read this, I really appreciate it. Forgive me if this seems to be very long letter but Id rather you has all the facts so that I do not waste your time.

All I wanna do is this: I have a data entry form called frmMainDataEntry which allows the user to add data about various items and this is stored in various tables. There is also two sub forms which are linked to the main form by relationships so that when a given record is selected in the main form, sub data is shown in the sub forms. (this all works great)

The one common link with all the items is the prefix of the catalogue number that I use, in as much as the prefix CD-C refers to one specific item type and CD-A refers to another and so on. Each record in the database is assigned a Catalogue Number according to the item type and the Prefix is followed by a number like so.. CD-C 0001 or CD-A 0001 and so on. The Catalogue number is entered in a text box on the form called TxtCatNo.

I have created a number of toggle buttons as an option group called Frame56 (also on the form) and named each button according to the item type so:
Button1 = CD-C (Value 1)
Button2 = CD-A (value 2)
And so on

What I would like is when a user clicks button 1 of the option group, the forms Record source is set to something like &quot;CD-[C] *&quot; and the input mask of a text box called txtCatNo on the form gets set to >&quot;CD-C &quot;<0CCC;0;_ But when a user clicks on button 2 the forms record source is set to &quot;CD-[A] *&quot; and the input mask of a text box called txtCatNo on the form gets set to >&quot;CD-A&quot;<0CCC;0;_ and so on and so forth.

I have tried doing this using a conditional macro that sets the Record source of the main form, but it sets it once and then wont change it to anything else no matter what button you press. I have also tried a Module on the frames &quot;after update&quot; event that looks at the Frame values and sets the record source value according to the value of the frame but no luck either
Sounds and looks easy on paper but do you think I can get it to work in access - I openly admit that I am not yet skilled enough to do this on my
own but I learn best from example which is why I am asking for your kind help.

What do you think - any suggestions would be great.

Thank you in advance

Use a sub form on on your main form and when a button is pressed on the main form in the on_click event of a button try me!yoursubformhere.recordsource = &quot;yournewrecordsource&quot;
me!yoursubformhere.requery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back