Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Set up home network 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

technoknow

Technical User
Apr 19, 2002
US
Hi, I hope I have the right forum, if not please direct me there.
I'm networking 2 computers at home with a D-Link D1-604.
The host has Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Sp1 the client computer is running Windows 98 2nd Edition. Everything is working fine except Internet Connectin Sharing. The XP computer is connected to the internet with a dial-up modem. Ive tried to enable ICS but it gives me an error message saying that a computer on the networking is using the reserved IP address: 192.168.0.1 I've tried to assign the client a different address and when I run winipcfg it seems to be working right. It shows the correct Host address:192.168.0.1 and it's own: 192.169.0.2 but the host still gives me the error message.
One other thing, the client computer has Personal Web Server installed on it that I use to test ASP scripts, etc. Could this be part of the problem? I don't have PWS currently enabled.
Any suggestions would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Jim

I don't know, but the first thing I would try is to enable PWS on the client computer. It's worth a try. I use a router instead of a plain hub.

set the win98 machine to pick up an IP address automatically. when you enable ICS on XP, it will act as DHCP server for the rest of the network (ie, 98 machine will get its IP from XP).

I'm using a router. Everything is working fine except ICS. I can dial and disconnect the modem from the client computer but I've tried using IE and Netscape but no go. Now in my Network Connections it shows the DialUp connection as being shared and firewalled and the network connection is enabled. What am I missing?
Thanks
Jim

'I'm using a router' - why? (no use for dial up connection and only 2 machines). And is it assigning IP addresses (because that is a common function of router) - in which case it will be conflicting with your XP machine, which is also assigning IP addresses (with ICS, becomes DHCP server).

You don't mention the win98 IP config - is it set up to pick up automatically like I said in earlier post? Because if its got a manual address, it will also need the gateway address (192.168.0.1) supplied for ICS to work. ICS is designed to work with auto IP addresses as ICS host machine is a DHCP server.

Did you try the following?
1-right click on My Network Places
2-select Properties
3-right click on your modem connection
4-select the Advanced tab
5-make sure that the "Allow other network users to connect...." is ckecked

Please, let me know if this solved your problem at
robfre19@bellsouth.net
Good luck
R.

I don't know what brand router you are using but I know that the Linksys version allows you to shut down DHCP ... it sounds like this may be your problem: two DHCP servers.

I'm using a router because I plan to go to a cable modem in a few months. The Windows 98 machine is set to pick up an IP address automatically.
'is it assigning IP addresses, because that is a common function of router, in which case it will be conflicting with your XP machine'
This sounds like what is happening. How do I tell if the router is assigning addresses & tell it not to?
"Allow other network users to connect...." is ckecked.
Thanks,
Jim

Usually, the router is 192.168.0.1 (which you're trying assigning to a pc) and the frouter has a built in DHCP server that's trying to assign addresses to your pc's

To access your router admin page point your brower to
The rest is kind of generic because I'm not familiar with that router. Look for the 'internal' or 'lan' ip address of the router - change it to 192.168.0.10. Then look for a DHCP server function - turn it off.

Here's the most important part - get out your manual for your router and write in that the admin page is now at for when you get your cable service.

Ok, I've disabled DHCP and changed its address. I've got my ISP connection set to share now but when I try to browse on the client computer it doesn't go anywhere. I can see the ISP connection on the client now and can enable and disable it, so I guess that's something.
I found out that what I'm using is a Residential Gateway. Is that the same as a router?
When I ping the host computer it is at:192.168.0.1
The client is:192.168.0.101 and the D-Link is:192.168.0.111
Any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Jim

Where is the client getting 192.168.0.101 from? Try letting both the client and the ICS machine be automatically assigned. A residential gateway is an inexpensive, personal use router - probably some marketing thing with the name.

OK! It's working! Thanks for all of your help, I've given smah and wolluf for their persistence. I think that what finally did it was that I din't have DNS disabled on the client computer.
Here is a link that was helpful if anyone is following this post. Thanks,
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back