Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Set up 16 real ips in a network

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr3amw3av3r

Technical User
Jul 8, 2006
GR
Hello people, it is my first post here. I have a very big problem in implementing real ips in my network. I am holding an internet cafe in Greece and I recently bought a 16 ip block from my ISP.

Let me say that I am using a Alcatel Speedtouch 530i router/modem. This router supports ADSL lines. The line I use is a 1024/256 ADSL line. I already know that the first and the last ip from the block can not be used, so the remaining ips are 14. I already tried these methods:

1)Set the router with the first available ip of the block, set the other pc's with the other ip's and use as gateway the ip of the router. Tried in PPPoE mode.

2)The above but in bridged ethernet mode.

I also tried to set up some multinat entries but unfortunately the router does not support them.

I would like to hear any opinion that may be useful, but if possible from persons that already implemented something alike. I already tried to numerous of Greek forums but with no luck.

Thanx in advance

What you are trying to do is beyond the capabilities of any of the SOHO routers that I am aware of, short of hacking the IPTables of the router to do things that cannot be implemented through the limited graphical user interface.

The easiest way to implement this functionality is with a true router, like a Cisco 26xx or through a Linux firewall. Either will allow you to set up a Static NAT table that associates a fixed external (resolvable) IP with the internal IP.

But my real question would be why are you doing this in the first place? You do not NEED to have resolvable IPs for an Internet Cafe. Theoretically you will not be accepting incoming connections, only creating outbound connections. And that can all be accomplished with a single IP address and dynamic NAT. There are 64K possible simultaneous connections using dynamic NAT. I seriously doubt that 14 Internet Cafe machines would create that many connections.

pansophic

At first, thanks a lot for your help. I really need these ip's for the following reason. The greek IRC servers and the servers of many games like wow and Lineage do not allow the same IP to connect multiple times. It is a really big need.

So, if I need a true router, like cisco 26xx, and if my knowledge to networks is average but I have never seen a cisco what can I do? As far as I know, cisco routers does not support a GUI, only commands.. Maybe a router with GUI I can use? Would be very difficult to setup real IP's in a cisco without even saw a cisco before?

Thanks again for your reply:)

You can use one of the Linux Firewalls, like IPCop or Shorewall, etc. You will need a computer with 2 NIC cards, and you will not be able to use that computer for any other purpose, but you can use IPTables to define Static NAT mapping. I don't recall if you can do the Static NAT through the GUI for those firewalls or not, but you can certainly enter the commands manually. There are MANY examples out on the net.

Cisco also has a GUI program for configuring their routers (or at least they used to) but I have never been able to get everything accomplished that I needed through the GUI, so abandoned it rapidly. Maybe it is better now.

pansophic

Hook up your modem (in Bridge Mode) to a switch and you can "sign-in" using the PPPoE software on each computer directly connected to that switch (which is connected to the modem).

Each computer would have its own static IP. Create a connectoid for PPoE on each computer, and set the static IP address under TCP/IP Properties.

And a router could be connected to that switch and could serve other users behind it via DHCP and NAT.

Here is a ROUGH diagram. I'm not good at text art.
[ul]
[li]Switch-->computer 1 [/li]
[li]Switch-->computer 2 [/li]
[li]Switch-->computer 3 [/li]
[li]Switch-->computer 4 [/li]
[li]Switch-->router------->computer5, 6, 7 .etc [/li]
[/ul]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back