Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Set Power Options for All Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

HerbAndEdnaWeinstein

Technical User
Apr 30, 2003
US
Hi, the task I want to accomplish is seemingly simple: I want to set a power policy on a computer that applies - by default - to any user who logs on to it, be they the lowliest guest or the highest administrator.

I tried simply setting the power settings on the machine as Computer Administrator and as Domain Administrator, but this did not work.

I also looked into a utility called EZ-GPO, but I don't think I should have to run tough-to-administer software to handle something this fundamental.

Any ideas where to start troubleshooting? Thanks in advance for any help.

Herbie

A snip from:

You need to create a custom ADM template and import it into a policy. We have one set that works on 2k and forces all the pcs into an 'always on' setting.

I don't know where exactly the registry setting is in XP so this may or may not work. It should at least point you in the right direction.

A snip from our .adm file:

;;;;;;;;;;;;
CLASS USER;;
;;;;;;;;;;;;

;Turns the power settings to 'Always On'
CATEGORY "XXXXXXXXX"
POLICY "Power settings"
KEYNAME "Control Panel\PowerCfg"
EXPLAIN !!PowerExplanation
PART "Power Policy" DROPDOWNLIST
VALUENAME "CurrentPowerPolicy"
ITEMLIST
NAME "Always On"
VALUE 3
NAME Presentation
VALUE 2
END ITEMLIST
END PART
END POLICY
END CATEGORY

[strings]
PowerExplanation = "If enabled, the selected power setting will apply\n\nIf disabled or not configured, the user's specified power setting will be used.\n\nWhen set to Always On the monitor will blank after 5 minutes, but the computer (or laptop) will never go into power save.\nWhen set to Presentation computers (or laptops) will not blank their screens, but laptops will go into power save.

User key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\PowerCfg]
System Key: [HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\PowerCfg]

Value Name: CurrentPowerPolicy
Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value)

Modify the existing value, or create a new string value, called "CurrentPowerPolicy" and set it to a value (0 to 5) from the table below.

0 - Home/Office desktop
1 - Portable/Laptop computer
2 - Monitor on for presentations
3 - Network computer (no Wake-on-LAN)
4 - Optimized for high performance
5 - Optimized for power saving
Restart Windows for the change to take effect.

The system key is effective when no power options have been set for a user.

You can always set the key for a user, export it, and create a small batch file in the All Users, Startup Programs folder to push the change using regedit /s.

qtin: Thanks, that's one road I'm pursuing as we speak.

bcastner: If the user already has a power policy defined on the computer, will simply deleting the key for that user cause the all users version of the key to take precedence?

Yes.
But just do the overwrite:

Copy paste below this line as power_set.reg :
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\PowerCfg]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\PowerCfg]
"CurrentPowerPolicy"="3"
****** end/copy paste
(Change "3" to whatever you choose)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search