Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Set permissions on NT Server from Win95 pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutchman

Technical User
Feb 13, 2001
IT
hello,

Our office has several branches all over the country. In some of these branches the administrator have Full Control on certain shares/directories.

When they connect to the server from their Win95 workstation they can access these shares and create maps but they can not set permissions on these maps. I tried to resolve this by installing the 'Windows NT server tools' but still the option 'permissions' on the tab Security doesn't work.

Can this be solved by changing permissions on a regkey on the Server with regedt32? If so, which registry key?

Marc

are you using user level access on your win95 machines?
If it is share level you not be able to set permissions

User level access is enabled.

One other thing: after installing the server tools on the win95 workstation, the admins can edit the existing shares on the NT Server through Server Manager\Computer\Shared directories.

What kind of Permissions are they tring to assign, NTFS or File Share?

SteelDragon

They have to set NTFS permissions to directories (and files) that they create in shared dirs where they have Full Control.

I'm sorry to tell you that they cannot set NTFS permissions remotely, NTFS permissions can only be assigned at the server, even if server tools are loaded locally. You may want to use PC Anywhere, or another remote control software package. Share permissions may be set remotely.

I hope that this helps you,

SteelDragon

Just on a side note... I was thinking about this later and realized I forgot to mention one thing... if you upgrade your 95 PC to NT wks w/ NTFS you should be able to do what you are attempting without using a remote control piece. There are however limitations to what you can do, even with server tools on a NT wks.

Hope that helps,

SteelDragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back