Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Set local Admin password via GPO 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daveyd123

MIS
Aug 25, 2004
US
I know you can rename the local administrator account for all workstations in Group Policy...can you also set a password for the local admin account in a GPO?

Actually yes you can. In the domain policy you can modify the administrator account name and it will propagate to all domain clients.

The only thing I see in the Default Domain Policy GPO is the ability to rename the local admin account under Computer Configuration-->Windows Settings-->Security Settings-->Local Policies-->Security Options

Thanks for the link...but that does not show me how to set a password for the local admin account in a GPO.

I have renamed the local admin account using a GPO...but...I now want to set a password for it for all computers in the domain using a GPO

I don't know this for a fact, but I doubt whether you could do this, as it would surely mean maintaining a password in plain text within the GPO schema somewhere - I wouldn't have thought M$ would allow that...

Paul

Example of how i do it. Put a list of computer names that need the password resetting in the test.txt file, then put the line below into a bat file (change the exe path appropriatly) or just use the run command.

D:\pspasswd.exe @D:\LocalPasswords\test.txt Administrator password

Thanks for the replies. It seems that all of our local administrator passwords are blank. I didnt feel like going around to 500+ computers and resetting the local admin password

lol yes i've had the same when a load of new PC's turned up that the supplier had ghosted, they all had a blank local admin password.

DOH!

porkchopexpress,

How should one write the computer names in the text file.

Is it \\computername or computername?

Thanks though for that awsome little app.

Anthony

Well you should thank the generous Mark Russinovich for creating the app :)

Just list the computer names on seperate lines without slashes e.g

PC1
PC2
PC3

Cheers.

Hi

What a great tool, thanks for posting it here. Only one question:

What port does it use to access the computer? When the SP2 firewall is turned on, it will refuse to change the password, saying that the network address cannot be found. When I turn off the Firewall, the thing changes password in less than a sec....

Thanks

Benedek

Talked too soon, thought later. I enabled File and Printer sharing as an Exception in the Firewall settings, and all goes well now.

Awesome find I have to say again..

Thanks

Benedek

I am in an XP/Server 2003 enviorment. I dont know if the above link will work

That Russinovich fellow writes some awesome tools - I'd use his pspasswd anyday before I'd try m$'s cusrmgr!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back