Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

set default url in onload

Status
Not open for further replies.

schwankieog

Programmer
Jul 25, 2001
US
I realize that this practice in general webpage design is very poor and VERY annoying to the viewer. I emphasize i am not doing anything malicious with it. Due to security issues at my job, we have but one person in charge of ie. he is the only individual that has permissions to change the default homepage of any user. unfortunately he is on vaction for 3 weeks and i have a problem. some of the users i support decided to go to a website which set their homepages to an undesirable site. the normal onclick event with setHomePage WILL not work. i am hoping that setting it in the onload wil circumvent the block. any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Hi there,

You can change the homepage if you have access to the registry.

Goto run, type in regedit.

Expand the following:

Local_Machine
Software
Microsoft
Internet Explorer

Click on the folder 'Main'

In the right-hand screen, double-click the 'Default_Page_URL' and put in desired url.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

aob.

here is the script i have.
obviously i can change the url
it fires at the onclick procedure

<script language=&quot;javascript&quot;>
function change(a)
{
a.style.behavior='url(#default#homepage)';
a.setHomePage('}
</script>

<button onclick=&quot;change(this)&quot;>Click Me</button>

this SHOULD work. but i am in a situation like yours. only the admin can set my home page, so this script dosen't work on my computer. but here it is:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC &quot;-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN&quot;>
<html>
<head>
<title></title>
<script language=&quot;javascript&quot;>
function change()
{
document.home_page_form.submit()
}
</script>

</head>
<body onLoad=&quot;change()&quot;>
<form name=&quot;home_page_form&quot; action=&quot;javascript:this.style.behavior='url(#default#homepage)';this.setHomePage('</form>
home page set...
</body>
</html>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back