Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Set BCM400 (OS 4.0) to display a given handset's public direct dial number when calling out

Status
Not open for further replies.

nibblesoft

IS-IT--Management
Oct 13, 2015
GB
Hi all - I'm new here, and hope someone can help.

We have a Nortel BCM400 system, running the 4.0 version of the BCM Operating System. We have about 10 direct dial numbers at my firm, as well as the overall firm wide line number. Direct dial numbers have been linked to certain handsets successfully.

However, when a user on a given handset dials out, instead of their specific direct dial number being displayed on the recipients caller display, the overall public telephone number is displayed. I've gone through every setting I can see that might be relevant, and failed to be able to change this.

Instead of me waffling on, perhaps someone can kindly point me in the direction of what settings and where I need to change things in Element Manager? If it's of any help (regional differences in the system) we are based in the UK.

I really appreciate your advice in advance.

Many thanks :)

Go to line access
Look for public OLI...outgoing line identification .for your extn
Insert the number for the DDI number..
Number lenght must match public receive digit lenght.

Eg if set to 6 the use the lady 6 digits of the DDI number

Hi snowman50.

Many thanks for coming back to me. That's exactly the field I'd found previously, and tried putting the 6 last digits of the phone number. Unfortunately, when dialling out it still displays the overall number. Is there any other tick box I need to check somewhere? Perhaps I should try it putting in the area code in that field too? (although for allocation of direct dial numbers, they only show the last 6 digits, so assuming the area code is already in somewhere else.....)

Really appreciate your help - any further thoughts welcome :)

The telco has to have their switch set to allow you to control outgoing caller id.

How are these lines supplied. OLI only works with PRI or BRI lines and as stated above must be allowed by the telco.

Marv ccna
telemarvlogosmall.gif

Sales, Installation & Service for Norstar, BCM, Samsung & Allworx Serving Ottawa and Eastern Ontario since 1990

Are you using DASS lines.
It won't work.

Only works on etsi or BRI lines.

Make sure it's the PUBLIC oli
Not the PRIVATE oli

Many thanks for the input back from this. Your responses have jogged a vague memory that we may have hit this problem about 5 years ago.

According to the Elements Manager, we have 8 lines, with a 'trunk type' of BRI-ST4. These lines are ISDN lines provided by BT. I'm going to try to ask them directly, but I've been passed from pillar to post generally when calling about such things.

So if BT support this, would it be case of them enabling a setting for our lines on the telephone exchange side?

Many thanks to you all.

So if BT support this, would it be case of them enabling a setting for our lines on the telephone exchange side?

Yes

Marv ccna
telemarvlogosmall.gif

Sales, Installation & Service for Norstar, BCM, Samsung & Allworx Serving Ottawa and Eastern Ontario since 1990

Thanks for clarifying - I'm going to try and contact BT today to see what can be done about this, and will report back here / mark this as answered once they have established the position (and hopefully fixed the problem!) either way. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back