Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Set Bandwidth Priority per Serial 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

talenx

Programmer
Aug 7, 2001
US
Hello all,

I have following scenario
Win 2000 authentication port 88
Exchange replication 135
IBM As/400 data request and replication port 31015

All of which have to share a 256k PPP

Q: Is there a way to setup priority list that would allow me to dictate which port can utilize and set % of bandwidth per serial0/0

Example:
As/400 = 50%
Window authentication = 10%
Exchange replication =30%
ect.

Please let me know
Thank you...

are you wanting to reserve the bandwidth for each protocol, or just implement a queuing strategy that will take effect when the link utilization is causing congestion....

for the latter check out custom queuing..

i think that will pretty much give you what you are looking for. Erik Rudnick, CCIE No. 9545
mailto:erik@kuriosity.com

Thank you,
That pretty much sums it up... though it look like you are limited by the number of queue-list 1-16... what happens if you have more that the allowed protocols to list like UPD?

I currently have every thing running through a priority list and designating that the AS/400 has HIGH priority and the rest have NORMAL.
(Problem with this is that is create more overhead on the CPU)
Suggestions?

Thank you again for the reply and i will test it
Talenx

You can't really get around having the increased overhead on the router's cpu. Anytime that the router is required to make a decision based on packet content, you are going to increase the overhead. In higher end routers, this is reduced by offloading much of the processing to interface processors. Erik Rudnick, CCIE No. 9545
mailto:erik@kuriosity.com

Thanks
I'll check it out.

On the same token... Is there a way to show the current bandwidth utilization by port or protocol?

Thanks again
TalenX

Hi All,

I thought I'd jump on this bandwagon aswell, as I need information on the custom based queuing option. I'm trying to queue it based on Access List.

So, a 256kbps client has three IP addresses. At present,I have given them 256kbps per IP address ( shown below ), until I can figure this custom queueing out. This is obviously sucking up a little bit of my bandwidth, as they are meant to be sharing 256kpbs between the three.

traffic-shape group 150 256000 7936 7936 1000

access-list 150 permit ip host 11.12.13.117 any
access-list 150 permit ip any host 11.12.13.117
access-list 150 permit ip host 11.12.13.118 any
access-list 150 permit ip any host 11.12.13.118
access-list 150 permit ip host 11.12.13.119 any
access-list 150 permit ip any host 11.12.13.119

So, I have this part . .

interface serial 0
custom-queue-list 1

queue-list 1 protocol ip 1 list 150 ( probably not right )

But then I got all confused by percentages or bandwidth and other information which other technical sites provide. Is there an easier, or better, way to do this ?

Thanks for your help

I have worked on traffic shaping on cisco routers for years with at least 15 tickets open with TAC to see it really not work well. I have in the past 3 months installed 17 Adtran IQ710 traffic shaping CSU's. They do the trick and allow you to see your traffic by application live. At $1,800 I would try one on a remote location and see if you like it.

Great stuff, thanks for that.
It's going to take a while, however, for one of these to arrive ( 4-6 weeks ), is there anyway of making this custom-queueing thing work in the mean time ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back