Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sessions Multiple Logins

Status
Not open for further replies.

stretcher012599

Programmer
Nov 26, 2005
US
I have 4 different companies using 4 different databases. Each company is separate. The following can occur: users can open up 4 browser windows and login to each company. Sometimes a user will open up 2 or 3 windows and login to the same company so they can have different parts of that company up on the screen. All users have the same user name and password for each of the 4 companies stored in each database. The question I have is my sessions end sometimes because say I have 4 companies up and I'm logged into all 4 companies and one company I decide to logout. It terminates the session. This is no good. Does the session terminate when a browser window is closed?
Maybe someone can give me a few suggestions on a better way of keeping my sessions alive. Theres always going to be times where I'll be logged into each of the 4 companies and maybe more then one time per company. I have security rights that are stored in the session too which makes it essential that I use sessions.
Any input would be great... thanks.

Do you have 4 diffent web applications on 4 different servers?

Or is this 1 web app on 1 server? Or what?

have different session variables defined in the global.asa for each application in order for them not to interact with each other...

-DNG

Sessions use cookies.

It is the browser's job to keep the cookies sorted out... to only send the proper cookie to the proper web server.

Perhaps it would work better if you gave these separate web applications separate headers and ip addresses.

You could bind 4 separate ip address to your server's network card and then give each application its own header.

That is probably overkill though, the browser should be able to tell them apart by either header or ip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back