Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

session variables / Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

digowa

IS-IT--Management
Feb 14, 2003
DE
It has been asked in several threads, but I did not find an answer for the following:

Using IE6 SP1 on a Windows XP machine my session variables are not stored at all. The page I'm calling is in the intranet, all cookies are allowed, lowest security is set, but after response.redirect the session variables are empty. I tried it also on a second machine with XP => same result.

Calling the same page from another machine with IE6 SP1 under Windows 2000 works, same with IE5.5 and so on.

So it seems that only Windows XP has a functionality (or should I call it a bug) that session variables are not stored at all.

Any idea what I could check or change?

it's not windows xp and has nothing to do with windows at all really. it's IE6 and I believe there was a security patch put out a long time ago for this bug. either that or download IE6 again and install it after unistalling the current one installed _________________________________________________________
for the best results to your questions: FAQ333-2924
[sub]01001111 01101110 01110000 01101110 01110100[/sub]
onpnt2.gif
[sup] [/sub]

Put two <textarea> elements on a page.

In one of them have the server code place the cookie data.

In the other have a client script put the cookie data in during the page.onload() event.

That way you can see what is happening to your session ID.

-pete

working code snips in here
faq333-2381 minus the client portion _________________________________________________________
onpnt2.gif
[sup] [/sub]

The IE6 is the latest update from Microsoft including all security patches. On the second XP machine is a 6 weeks old XP installation also with the latest updates for XP and IE6.

I want to believe that it has something to do with IE6 and not with XP, but in a combination IE6 with Win2000 it works and the security settings have been higher than on my 2 XP machines.

I also tested the session-id before and as I exspected whenever response.redirect is called the old session id is losted.

So I'm still thinking of that is has something to do with XP ...

Windows XP HE was tested off the FAQ with success
Windows XP Pro as well

Have you searched around M$ for any bug alerts or patches for windows you are running?

It must be something somewhere I'm not thinking of or is just being missed in the settings.

hrrmmm on it not being the patch. I remember one and I thought that was going to it for you. sorry! _________________________________________________________
onpnt2.gif
[sup] [/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back