Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Session Time Outs & Password Caching

Status
Not open for further replies.

varnix

Programmer
Jan 7, 2002
US
One of our applications requires the user to login for tracking and verification purposes as the users take and log calls into the CF application we have created.

One of the issues that we want to address is the fact that a session times out after 20 minutes of inactivity. We don't have a problem with this - but is there a way to make the page reload itself after those twenty minutes are up so that the user know that they have to log back in?

We haven't had an issue of someone trying to enter data on a timed out session... yet! But want to avoid it if at all possible.

Also, as we're all aware, many of the new browsers allow for password and name caching on forms. Is there a way to disable this, not on the browser itself, but in the CF code? I don't necessarily have control of all the browsers that will be hitting this site.

Thanks!

Microsoft explains how to disable auto-complete (for IE at least, I'm not sure whether Netscape has this feature) in the following MSDN article:

(MSDN is being unbearably slow this morning for me, but this never lasts long.)

It's pretty simple, really -- for any <form> you don't want auto-complete to be enabled for, add the attribute AUTOCOMPLETE=&quot;off&quot;

It is possible to use JavaScript to lenthen your session timeouts. That is, if the user still has your site loaded in thier browser then perhaps they don't want to be logged off...

Here is a JavaScript that goes and fetches a fresh page (on a timer) so that your session won't expire until after the user leaves the page....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back