Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Session problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

desaivar

Programmer
Jul 6, 2009
US
Hi there,

Is it possible that two user's use same application on different computers and somehow one's session data getting overwritten with others?

I am not having any code error anywhere but somehow one's data getting overwritten with others.

Please help me because I am trying to solve this error since from two days but not success.

There is use of 'Request.Form' in code. Is it forcing session to overwrite?

Thanks in advance.

Is the problem consistent, or intermittent?
Do is happen everywhere you use session, or only a specific spot?
Are you using any authentication models?

You will also need to provide the code that is causing the problem. This could be any place where you call session to either get or set a value.

do you store any values in cache or application state? these bags are shared by all users. if you are using them it may also be causing the problem.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

faq855-7190

Hi Jason,

It happens very rarely.

Actually we are providing session for requestID. Based on requestID we can fetch data for particular request. Somehow it has copied data of one request from one user to the request of differant user.

We didn't get any code error for sure so we came to the conclusion that after displaying one request 'A' when we click on save it would have been taken different requestID 'B' (if session overwriting happens) and fetch data of that requestid and saved for requestID 'A'.
We are not sure session overwriting happens or not?

One more possibility there, while clicking on 'Save' button, there 'Request.Form' has been used to store new values and it replace new values with old values for updation.

collReqVariables = Request.Form

collReqVariables is NameValueCollection.

Does it causing problem? Does request.form is taking other user's data for update existing request?

There is no any authentication model used, no cache or application state used.

Code is little tricky and dependent on other files so not useful to post.

We would appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Actually we are providing session for requestID. Based on requestID we can fetch data for particular request. Somehow it has copied data of one request from one user to the request of different user.
what do you mean requestID?

One more possibility there, while clicking on 'Save' button, there 'Request.Form' has been used to store new values and it replace new values with old values for updation.
i didn't think it was possible to write to Request.Form. i thought it was a readonly collection.

Code is little tricky and dependent on other files so not useful to post.
in theory what the other files do is indifferent (separation of concerns). If the code is tricky then it will be difficult to maintain :)

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

faq855-7190

Hi Jason,

First of all thanks for your help.

I don't want to confuse you more:)

Just tell me is there any possibility that one user's session can be overwritten with other user's data in any way if both users are running application simulataneously?

Does one user request.form can take other users request.form data in any way if both users are running applications simulataneously?

Just tell me is there any possibility that one user's session can be overwritten with other user's data in any way if both users are running application simulataneously?

Does one user request.form can take other users request.form data in any way if both users are running applications simulataneously?
No to both. A session is unique to a browser instance. Meaning, if the user opens up IE 10 times, each one has it's own unique sessionid and one does not interfere with the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back