Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Session Names are all the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JediMasterJamie

IS-IT--Management
Oct 18, 2001
US
When trying to restore by session I notice that the last recorded session is from 7-28!? Now upon furthur inspection I realized that the backups have been working just fine, but the session has been named the same date, as well as the media name.

I'm using Brightstor 9.0 build 1868 on Win2k Server.

I've looked at the job options and cannot find anything pertaining to this.. any suggestions?

If I understand you correctly, the session name will always stay the same as the first time it was used. You probably have the backup job set as "append." Don't look at the tape session name. When you do a restore, use the "TREE" view and find the server and file you want. Then once you highlight the file, it will show you the different "versions" of the backup.

I wish there was an option to have the tape "renamed" each time a new backup went on it. There may be, but if there is, I don't know how to set it.

smarsh@megasysinc.com

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. When we were using ArserveIt 6.0 it would make the name of the tapes (and therefore sessions) the same as the time the job was executed. I can't see them removing this functionality. I do have the append option checked.. I'll remove it.

Boy am I losing it... I do NOT have that option checked.. I have the option "Overwrite Same Media Name, or Blank Media First, then Any Media"

Man it's been a long morning.

When you submit an ARCserve job with an * for the tape name in the destination tab and the tape that is used is blank then ARCserve automatically will use the date of the backup as the tape name. When you select the option "Overwrite Same Media Name, or Blank Media First, then Any Media" and the same tape is used for the next backup, then ARCserve will overwrite this tape with the name it had before, which is the date of the first backup.
It doesn't matter how often you use this tape, the name will remain the same, because - in fact - that is what you tell ARCserve.
Just as a test : modify your job and type TEST in the destination field instead of the *, let all other options as they were. Then you get an idea how ARCserve handles tape naming.

I do understand more now than before. I also just remembered that when we were using ArcServeIT 6 I was manually erasing the tapes everyday. The erasing them manually would have made the date change upon each backup.

So I guess putting like %Date% in the "Destination" field wouldn't work either. I really would like for this to work, but I guess if everyone else isn't doing it that way I can somehow manage to live knowing all my sessions are for July (sarcasm).

You have to admit though.. it's a feature that I would think would be important enough to implement.

Try to do some tests using the GFS rotation scheme. This is the only automated scheme within ARCserve that will add the actual date of the backup to the name of the media.

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back