Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Session lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strannik

Programmer
Jul 4, 2002
UA
I've designed and deployed ASP.NET application. Everything was fine but starting since last week the Session randomly clears all the data(in 20-60 sec). It never reproduces on test server so even don't know what to do. Timeout = 15 minutes,Mode = "InProc",Cookiesless = false
What is more strange the SessionID is the same but session is empty.
Did somebody encounter such a problem ?

If your session ID is still the same then the session has not been "lost". Try putting tracing on your pages and see what session information does exist.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Need help finding an answer?

Try the search facilty ( or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

Yes, Session is not lost, but its contents clears. The most weird thing is that it works fine for 3 months ... and only a week ago the behavior changes.

So what happened a week ago? Check the event logs etc to see if anything happened (i.e. new installations, errors etc).

This is shared server(Win2003,IIS) outside our country so I can change/view nothing.

In that case I don't think there is much we can do. You say that something has changed but if you don't know what has changed then we have very little chance of guessing what the problem could be.

ca8msm is right, but my 2 cents:
session variables suddenly being lost can be caused by a few things that I know of:

-putting any other files in the application bin folder (esp. "database"-type files such as Access or Excel that get accessed) - this can cause problems with the asp.net worker threads because they monitor the bin folder

-Any pages have been added with a response.redirect - this can cause thread aborts that can drop session data. Generally you should use server.transfer

-problems with stateservers.. but if you're inproc this shouldn't be an issue. Still, I'd make sure (if at all possible) that your server isn't handling too high a load - it will start clearing caches to save resources, and while I don't think this would affect the session, you never know.

There're no database-related files in the bin folder(only DLL).
What if IIS unloads the application due to memory lack ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back