Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ServRAID 3L with Version 6.10.24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davetoo

IS-IT--Management
Oct 30, 2002
US
I have a Netfinity 5000 with a ServRAID 3L running 6.10.24 (drivers and firmware all the same). When I upgraded to this version three weeks ago, everything went just fine.

Yesterday I loaded up the ServRAID Manager and it says "No controllers were found in this system" in the status window at the bottom and Number of controllers is 0 in the window to the right.

The server is running fine. It's setup RAID 5, 4 primary with a HS, and I see no errors in the event logs. The controller card shows up as working fine in the Device Manager.

I'm not sure what to do. I'm having problems with my tape backup right now, so I can't take a chance on a reboot at this time (hopefully tape drive will be operational again today).

TIA

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

hi,

soory if this seems a stupid question, but have you upgraded ServeRAID Manager aswell or is this when you run the CD?
Also where is the tapedrive attached?

Regards

Martin

Yes, ServRAID Manager is at 6.10.24 as well, all BIOS, everything is 6.10.24.

The tape drive is attached to a different server, and is operational again. I only mentioned the tape drive because I couldn't afford to reboot the server at the moment in case something is wrong with the 3L and the system won't come back up.

My other two servers are working fine with 6.10.24, another 5000 with a 4L card, and a 5100 with a 3H card.

hello again

okay,

What OS, Servicepack?
Where did you get the latest serveRAID Manager from?
have you tried to uninstall it and then reinstall it again?
did you say yes, when you are asked during installation to install the service?
when you installed the manager was there any other programs running like Antivirus etc etc?

Regards

Martin

Running W2K, SP3, all hotfixes.

ServRAID direct from IBM's website.

No, as I said, I was waiting for the backup to kick back in before attempting anything on the server side.

Yes, I installed the service.

We run Symantec AV Corporate, always running. It was running on the other two servers as well when I installed the ServRAID on them. I updated all three servers at the same time.

the only couple of things that springs to mind is to stop the antivirus program while installing, and trying to download it from teh website again.
I have just tried it on a 5000 with a SR 3L controller and it works find there.
Only other solution I can see would be to wait for the next version fo ServeRAID to come out or downgrade the firmware and bios etc to version 5.11 or 6.0 depending on if you the older versions.

Regards Martin

Hi try stopping the Serveraid manager agent and test your tape drive. Tape drive should not be connected to 3L controller.

Thanks for that, but as I said, the tape drive is connected to a completely different server and was only mentioned by myself as a reason for not having trying to reboot the server as of that time. The tape drive is not related to this in any way, shape or form other than that. And it's not connected to a ServRAID controller, straight SCSI interface to the backup server.

As it turns out, it appears that the agent .EXE for the ServRAID software was missing, and may be the reason for the controller card not showing up. I've reloaded the ServRAID software but haven't yet rebooted (off on vacation for a bit).

Ok, finally got this problem sorted out.

As I said, the Raid manager's service .exe was missing, so the service wouldn't start. I uninstalled the ServRAID from the server, rebooted, then reinstalled the software and everything is running just fine now.

The only curiousity is how the service .exe got gone...no explanation for that that I can find.

Thanks for all the insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back