Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

servlet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

B2d

Programmer
Feb 4, 2002
NL
Does servlets run on any webserver, or do I have to install a 'special' program for it?

The webserver I have, can't start any programs and it doens't have a operating system. Can I use servlets?

Servlets can be run on any webserver,,check the documentation of the webserver,,u r saying that ur webserver has got no operating system,u r wrong in that,,with out a o.s how are u able to run the webserver

Servlets can only be run in a Web Container, they need the services provided by the container. An example of a Web Container is Tomcat or Resin.

The good thing is that even if your Web Server is not also a Web Container it is possible to forward/proxy requests to a separate Web Container. This is what you would need to do to get IIS to serve JSP pages for example. However, the documentation for IIS is not going to tell you anything about how to setup the proxy. For this type of information you are going to have to look at the documentation for your Web Container.

I recommend downloading and playing with Tomcat 4. Not only is Tomcat easy to configure and use, it is also the official reference implementation for the Servlet 2.3 and JSP 1.2 Specifications. I would not use Tomcat for production applications but for learning and/or development it is great.

Web Address for Tomcat:

Learn JSP and Servlet

I want to learn JSP and servlet, I've no idea which should be take first. Is learn servlet first then JSP ?

p.s. I know html.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back