Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Services / Operating System problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Designware

Technical User
Sep 24, 2002
Hi,

I have a PC that will not receive an IP address from a DHCP server. In fact, even if you put a static IP address in the TCP/IP protocol, and then go to the command prompt and do a ipconfig ... it shows 0.0.0.0 as the IP address.

When you try an "ipconfig /renew", it gives the following error "An error occurred while renewing interface local area connection: The system cannot find the file specified."

I found the following KB article ( which had some recommendations, the final one being doing a repair on the operating system ... which I did ... and the error is still there.

Also, when I go into the services module, I see that Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) is not started. I try to start it, and it says that it cannot start a dependency service that it requires.

Again, I have done a repair on the O/S.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Dale

I would think either your cable or nic is bad as far as hardware goes.
More likely your networking protocols are messed up. I'd delete everything including the nic and restart.

se2000 ... thanks for the reply.

Regarding the hardware issues. The network cable is a known good cable (I've attached other PCs to it). The NIC is built into the motherboard. So I attached a USB NIC that I have (known good), and it had the same problem after installation.

I deleted the NIC from within the device manager, and reinstalled it ... with the same problem.

Any further suggestions?

Thanks.

Dale

What dependency is not started

Double click on the WMI service in Services and then open the dependencies tab.

WMI is dependent on the RPC service - I suspect yours is disabled or won't start.

Chase the chain down - i.e. if RPC is not started - take a look at that service & its dependencies (which should be none - but lots are dependant on RPC).

[navy]When I married "Miss Right" I didn't realise her first name was 'always'. LOL[/navy]

stduc ... thanks for the reply.

When I double-click on WMI, and then click on the dependency tab ... it gives the error message WIN32: The dependency service or group failed to start.

I looked for a "Dependency service" to start, but couldn't find one.

Dale

What is the status of the RPC service?

[navy]When I married "Miss Right" I didn't realise her first name was 'always'. LOL[/navy]

I'm beginning to suspect malware of some kind. But I am going to assume you keep your system clean. If in doubt - look at some of the threads on removing virus's etc and follow the advice.

Check the event logs (check the event log service is running and start it if it isn't) - May give a clue?

yes, there was a fair amount of malware running. It has been cleaned off. It was most likely the culprit. No viruses found. Been turning on services and things appear to be coming back to life.

Is there a reference somewhere as to what services should be started upon boot, and which ones are optional?

Thanks.

You might also do a Winsock fix/repair - not being able to pick up an IP address or even have a static Ip address be recognized can be an indicator that this needs to be done.
- this is one of the many locations you can download the utility.

Thanks ktechit ... I am familar with Winsockfix and had run it previously. It did not fix the problem. After turning on quite a few disabled services, the network did come back to life. I stumbled through the services, not really sure what I was turning on.

Again, is there a listing somewhere of the standard services, what they are, and if they're required?

Thanks.

I'm glad to hear your winning. What makes me curious is why should malware screw up an internet connection? To what purpose? Or does the malware in question have a bug?

That aside. I think this is what you are looking for.

It's a reasonably comprehensive list of services, what they do and whether you need them or not. Of course which services you need depend on what you use your PC for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back